Opinions on 338 Edge

hemiford

Hello All,

Question, maybe it's even a silly question.....

Curious to hear conjecture and opinions on the possibility
of SAAMI accepting the 338 Edge as a standard cartridge.

It seems like a "logical" design, maybe compared to some other wildcats....
(not that I'm slamming any other designs).

I'm not familiar with the process/politics/etc.

Thanks Folks !

Hello All,

Question, maybe it's even a silly question.....

Curious to hear conjecture and opinions on the possibility
of SAAMI accepting the 338 Edge as a standard cartridge.

It seems like a "logical" design, maybe compared to some other wildcats....
(not that I'm slamming any other designs).

I'm not familiar with the process/politics/etc.

Thanks Folks !

In my opinion the 338/300 RUM aka 338 Edge will not be considered for the standardization process because the 338 RUM is a virtual twin already standardized. I do own and shoot a 338 Edge so it has appeal, does little a RUM cannot do.

As Peashooter said, Not likely because it is just a 300 rum necked up to 338 (not that it does not deserve a spot in SAMME).

I would think the 338 Edge AI version would have a better chance because of dimensional changes
over the 300 RUM. (Like the 280 AI that Nosler changed to get it In SAMME)

There are enough reamers and dies however, that I don't think it really matters to the creator
of the Edge if SAMMI does or does not include it in there standards.

Just my opinion

J E CUSTOM

I agree with both of the above opinions, and would guess there are commercial constraints as well - I'm guessing most of the majors aren't clambering to load 338EDGE. Not because it is not a great chambering, just the economies of scale aren't there to make it profitable (ever see 338LM ammo for sale at a sporting goods store? I've never seen it under $100/box, when I see it at all).

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.