Opinions on Bullet Designs

You could probably approximate those Federal velocities with a handload. Nosler's reloading manual lists 62gr max load of RL22 at over 2800 fps. several other powders list near 2800 fps. The handloads might not duplicate the performance of the Federal load though. For years I fed my 44mag IMI ammo from Israel. Suddenly the IMI well ran dry. That ammo made my model29 act like it was in the hands of a Wyatt Earp. I chronied the last 8 rounds I set about loading up rounds with various powders and primers finding many that reproduced the velocities exactly. None of them duplicated the consistent accuracy of the IMI rounds.

Yes, I think you're right - I just haven't gotten around to doing that yet. I don't think it's going to be a big trick, though. Nosler lists a number of powders that should produce a reasonable velocity, and it will just be a matter of finding an accurate load at a good velocity. The important thing is that I know that the bullet is a good performer.

So I am looking at different bullet designs as I would like to develop a universal load for my 30-06 and my .270 win. I am looking for performance from 0 to 800 yards on both Deer and Elk. High BC is desired and needs to carry 1000+ Ft lbs of energy to 800 yards. These are my general requirements.

In general is see 2 extremes that must be satisfied:
  1. Penetration for quartering shots inside 300 yards
  2. Energy transfer at 800 yards
In close range ideal shots, any heavy hunting bullet should be ok for either rifle, in my opinion. No matter where you hit the animal any hunting round will expend enough energy to get the job done if at all possible. With the high energy anything should get the job done (milk jug shot by any bullet from '06/270 at 100yrs blows up, 800 yards it is not so much the case).

I am thinking 150 Partitions for the 270 might be best and 208 ELD-M for the '06.

I am looking for other people's opinions on what they have found works for similar uses.

Have you looked into Speer bullets? I used them in my .358 Win. They're built pretty solid.

Have you looked into the Hammer Hunters. Very good accuracy and will perform at all ranges you mentioned from near to far.
I like the Federal Edge bullets so will probably see if I can get a load going for them. I am shooting a Tikka T3 '06 with 1-11" so long mono bullets are not going to give good BC and stabilize. The Edge bullets will be lucky to stabilize.

The Partition from close to moderate ranges works great on tougher animals like elk. On light animals like coues deer they dont work very well unless you hit bone, or they pencil through. Had this issue with a 270 Win using 130gr Partitions, they penciled throught the lungs.

I've never shot a coues deer with the Partition, but I have shot a few antelope with the 180-grain 30 caliber. All expanded well enough, and the animals all dropped on the spot. One actually had a piece of its liver blown right out of its body, and we found it hanging behind the buck on a tall sagebrush. The exit wound didn't look anywhere near big enough for this chunk of liver to come through, but there it was.

The couple of coues deer that I have shot were about the same size & build as a buck antelope, or maybe just a bit smaller. I think the bone structure may be a bit lighter on the deer. I shot one with a 30-06 Ackley and the 180-grain A-Frame, which expanded quite well. The other was shot with the outfitter's rifle, and his load was the 168-grain Sierra Match King in a 300 Weatherby. I shot the buck at 410 yards, and the bullet made a pretty small hole in the deer - the exit wound looked just like the entry. Lungs were not badly scrambled - just a hole all the way through. I was expecting lung soup, but such was not the case. The deer dropped on the spot, though, so I guess that a small hole was big enough.

Your 130-grain 270's may be a bit too stiff for these little deer. I've shot a bunch of smallish whitetails in the northeast with Partitions, and all have shown good expansion. Lighter 30-caliber partitions ( 150-grain ) have only exited about 50% of the time, while the 180's have always passed all the way through these animals. Exit wounds have been around the size of a nickel, unless the bullet hit the shoulder on the way out. That's about all I know about that, Sir.

Have you looked into Speer bullets? I used them in my .358 Win. They're built pretty solid.
I have speer bullets for my .270. I haven't seen anything that really interests me with a High BC for my '06. Do you have a particular bullet in mind that you have had good luck with?

How do you know that? At close range when velocity is fastest they shoot through and there is no bullet to look at.

Because lots of dead animals with big exit wounds tell the story good enough to suite me.

Your pretty new here tech4--we may all have different opinions around here but we normally try to be polite .and respectful to each othe.

Hornady says lots of things...like how the Creedmoor is the ultimate elk rifle...just because they say it doesn't make it gospel.
I did a quick web search and could not find any claims by Hornady that "the 6.5C is the ultimate elk rifle" Can you come up with a source where Hornady say's this?

Because lots of dead animals with big exit wounds tell the story good enough to suite me.

Your pretty new here tech4--we may all have different opinions around here but we normally try to be polite .and respectful to each othe.

What did I say that wasn't polite and disrespectful?

How do you know that? At close range when velocity is fastest they shoot through and there is no bullet to look at.
No they do not. The turn internals into jello and do not penetrate to the far side. Impact velocities above 2800 they act like a varmint bullet. Dozens of game animals show this

No they do not. The turn internals into jello and do not penetrate to the far side. Impact velocities above 2800 they act like a varmint bullet. Dozens of game animals show this

Most deer are kill inside of 100 where I hunt and they shoot through the deer we have. It is what we are seeing apparently you are seeing something different.

Why not consider a true hunting bullet that was designed for taking game at any distance with nothing but great results since they hit the market? "Hammer Hunters... I've put them to the test in multiple calibers this past season with nothing but impressive results. Hands down the best I've seen in 40 years.

Why not consider a true hunting bullet that was designed for taking game at any distance with nothing but great results since they hit the market? "Hammer Hunters... I've put them to the test in multiple calibers this past season with nothing but impressive results. Hands down the best I've seen in 40 years.

I thought that was what the ELD-X was. I didn't know people were having a problem with them until today.

Maybe consider the 145 ELD-X for the .270 and 200 ELD-X for the 06. I have taken lots of deer with 140 gr cup and core bullets SGK, Hornady SST and Hornady ELD-X and they works fine. The ELD-X's give you high BC's and will perform at 50 yards or 500 yards given MV from the .270/06.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.