Bullet weight opinions/experience

CoachChris

I have a new Savage 12FCV in .223 on the way. It has a 26" barrel w/ 1-9 twist
This is my first .223 bolt gun

What bullets and weights do the experienced in the group recommend?

Last edited:
The kids shot a lot of rats with the 53 grain V-MAX this spring.

I've shot a few rats with the Hornady 75 grain match, and the splat factor isn't there.

One of the youngsters started shooting steel, and the 75 grain match was the better choice.

The great thing about the .223 is the variety, the bad thing is that variety can get confusing, but barrel life is good so sorting it out isn't stressful.

I have a new Savage 12FCV in .223 on the way. It has a 26" barrel w/ 1-9 twist
This is my first .223 bolt gun

What bullets and weights do the experienced in the group recommend?

With the twist you have, I would recommend 30 to 55 grain bullets first. almost any bullet type will work but I like the polymer tipped bullets for there performance on game.

Then you could try some heaver bullets that might work (They normally need 1 in 8 twist to shoot well at long distance).

J E CUSTOM

With the twist you have, I would recommend 30 to 55 grain bullets first. almost any bullet type will work but I like the polymer tipped bullets for there performance on game.
J E CUSTOM
Thank you for your input
I think I have read somewhere that polymer tipped bullets are more effected by wind?
Is there any truth to that?

Thank you for your input
I think I have read somewhere that polymer tipped bullets are more effected by wind?
Is there any truth to that?

I have not seen or heard that. In fact the polymer tipped bullets have a good BC and downrange performance on game is also very good.

For many years of match shooting, I preferred the Match Kings (SMKs) but the performance on game was unpredictable so I had to find a bullet for hunting with excellent accuracy and predictable
performance at extreme distance and most of the tipped bullets worked well.

With the Accubonds, I found an equally accurate bullet in a bonded core that was tipped adding one more benefit to the ballistic tip. The Accubonds have been very predictable no matter where the shot placement ended up having to be.

There are bullets with better BCs but I have not found any that were as good as the Accubond for all round performance.

The A max and the sirocco have also been good performers at long distance hunting.

Just my opinion

J E CUSTOM

With the Accubonds, I found an equally accurate bullet in a bonded core that was tipped adding one more benefit to the ballistic tip.
J E CUSTOM
Thanks for the input
The 168gr Accubond is my bullet of choice for my 7mm RemMag.

I've ordered 69gr SMK's and 68gr. Hornady BTHP's
I already have a bunch 55's to try

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts