.243 bullet weight

rtv900

I purchased a 243 Tikka last week. It has a 1 in 10 rate of twist. Am I correct in assuming that it should shoot a 95-100 grain bullet the best or am I mistaken? I would like to shoot a lighter weight bullet but I am not sure it will with a 1 in 10 twist. I am a novice on twist rates so any help you can give my would be appreciated.

I am going to use the gun for coyote hunting. The gun is light and easy to carry. My other guns are to heavy to carry all day.

Thanks for the help.

For 1 in 10" twist...I would stick to 90 grains and less, with 85 grains being about optimum IMO.

Other companies twist their 243 barrels at 1 in 9 1/8" to 1 in 9 1/2"...these are better for the heavier bullets.

That's not to say that a 1 in 10" barrel won't stabilize a 100 grain bullet....but you will have to push it HARD to get some speed (and spin) up.

For coyotes...75 to 85 grain bullets should do great.

RTV,
Your rifle should shoot 75-90gn pretty good. I recently acquired a Winchester HVB in .243Win that shoots the 87gn great. I've tried the 65gn VMax and they hovered just under an inch but the 87gn Winchester pills printed in the .2" range. I worked up a load with the 90gn Ballistic Tip and they're hovering around .2-.3". I'm using 44.5gn of IMR4831 with the 87gn and 44.0 with the 90gn. This powder and bullet weight range also worked just as good in another .243 Win that I used to have. It was a Rem 700 (9.25" twist). Good luck. JohnnyK.

RTV,

To put it simply....the longer the bullet, the faster it needs to spin...243's shooting 100+ grain bullets need at least 1 in 8" twist for optimum results...especially at extended ranges.

Thanks for the replies. I shot it yesterday with some 100g bullets at 200 yards. Then I shot it with some 85g at the same range and my groups were much better with the 85g.

Thanks again.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.