.243 bullet weight 100 or 110 gr.

chris matthews

My wife and a few others I reccomended this to use the Sierra 85 gr GameKing HPBT. Killed a bunch of big deer with that combo. Fast, flat and accurate with very moderate recoil.

chris-
a guy at our hunting camp shoots a 6mm rem with 85 grainers. this past year he shot a yearling doe at 60 yards and the bullet didnt exit. It killed the deer but im not sure how that would work downrange.

PA the bullet probably diden't exit due to it "blowing up" from the high velocity at such a close range. I've seen that alot with 165gr Balistic tips shot out of a 300Wby at 75yds it looks like a bomb went off in the deer , had to scrap both front shoulders and th bullet diden't hit either , but out at 300yds their was a nice half dollar size exit hole and both lungs pretty much destroyed.
Personaly i like the 105gr A-max for deer out of my 243Ai , the gun likes them launched at around 3000fps and they work great all the way out to 325 or so is the farthest I've killed deer with it. I have seen good results with the 95gr Ballistic tips also

Don't know, I have shot a bunch of big (200+) deer from 30 to 300 yards with it from a 243 Ackley and they all were one shot kills. All but one exited - he was shot head on, Found the bullet at the base of the tail.
Only one ran after the shot but he went 30 yards- heart shot from 50 yards.
Ain't ever had one blow up and we're pushing them pretty hard out of the 243 Ackley.

I have seen a small buck shot with an 85gn hollow point out of a .243. The hunter preferred 100gn bullets but didn't have any loaded up. He used some he had loaded for jackrabbits. About 300yd. Took about 5 steps and never got up. I have shot several with 100gn Game Kings and never had a complaint. I shot one small buck with the 100gn at 25 yds through the chest. MV was about 2900fps. It had about a 3-inch exit wound and he didn't move out of his tracks. I wonder what an 85gn hollow point, that is basically a varmint bullet according to some manufacturers, would do through a shoulder. I would use the 100gn and would have no problem with the 110gn if your barrel will stabilize it. Interesting thread because I am usually arguing that the .243 with 100gn bullets is sufficient for deer and the rest of the world is freaking out about how it is inhumane to shoot a deer with such a light cartridge. I just noticed that you are talking 400yds. Way to far for the .243 in my opinion.

[ 07-11-2004: Message edited by: Spotter ]

Should I go with 100 or 110 grain bullets for my .243 out to 400 yds for whitetails?

The 85gr HPBT GameKing form Sierra is a GAME bullet as the name suggests. If you think 400 is to far for a 243 then I wouldn't read the threads on here about guys killing deer at 1000 with a 243 Ackley then.
However if I thoughts the shots were going to be long then I would use the 107 gr MatchKings for a little more downrange energy.
For what it's worth, I don't believe the old wife's tale of needing 1000 ft/lbs of energy to kill a deer. I believe in shot placement.

I agree with Chris , asd long as you can hit and tear up a major organ the deer will die.
shot placement is the key and if you do make a bad hit leave the deer alone , he'll bed down close and expire.

I shot a large 6 point with my bow last year , the arrow hit a small vine that I diden't se and deflected the arrow , he was hit far back and quartering away. I knew it was a bad hit so I waited about two hrs then snuck out of my stand and came back in the morning , the deer was dead less that 100yds from where he was hit.

thanks
I too believe shot placement is much more important the energy(to some point anyway). Our neighborlung shot a big doe at 30 yards with a 22lr while it was in his garden. She went a hundred or so yards and that was that. Shot placement is key.

Hello all,

I have data on this subject. I shoot a custom 6x284 with a 12" twist Hart barrel. I use this as my varmint rifle and my short range (less than 600 yards) deer gun.

I use RL22, 90 grain Ballistic tips at a little over 3700 FPS. It is very accurate and will do the job at 600 yards. However, that is my self imposed yardage limit since the deer went 20 yards and did not fall in their tracks.

Prior to the 90 grainers coming out, I used the 70 grainers at 4000FPS. They actually are more terminal, but drift more in the wind.

James

if you want to use those long bullets, 105-110, you're gonna need a 9 and 8 twist barrel.a 10 will work with conventional 100 gr bullets.

[ 07-17-2004: Message edited by: no.1 whitetail ]

My 6-284 will fling those 105/107's into a group about 1" at 300 yards but I hunt with a 95 gr Combined Technologies ballistic tip. I use it in my sons 243 and in my 6-284 cause it just slams the deer down. We hunt where our longer shots are 375 yds in the fields and in the woods 100 yards max. They are my choice over say a 95 gr nosler ballistic tip or a 100 grain Sierra. Both rifles are 1 in 10 twist.:)

placement / 22 LR

I agree with all the "shot placement" comments. That said, whilst caliber is not a substitute for placement, it can afford you a bit more room for error. This is even moreso if a shot is taken from a less than perfect angle.

I'm never sure who reads the posts and I'm always cautious on this, so if you'll humour me...

To be clear to any new hunters or potential young hunters out there reading this, the 22 LR story was clearly an illustration. I certainly don't think anyone here either recommends or condones hunting for deer with a 22 rimfire. Certainly I don't and I've seen game killed (and some wounded) and steers and pigs killed with them - in those cases it was a perfect illustration of "placement" too.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts