Bullet Weight Variances

Triple BB

I picked up several boxes of Berger .338 300 grn bullets awhile back. I pulled 10 of them out of one box to see what they weighed. 4 were 299.9, 4 were 300 and the other two were a 1/10 of a grn outside of those two weight groups. The amounts don't seem like a lot for a heavy bullet. However, I'm wondering if there's any kind of weight variance you'd consider unacceptable for long range shooting. The rifle is a 338 Edge.

I picked up several boxes of Berger .338 300 grn bullets awhile back. I pulled 10 of them out of one box to see what they weighed. 4 were 299.9, 4 were 300 and the other two were a 1/10 of a grn outside of those two weight groups. The amounts don't seem like a lot for a heavy bullet. However, I'm wondering if there's any kind of weight variance you'd consider unacceptable for long range shooting. The rifle is a 338 Edge.
That amount of weight is nearly insignificant. Much more significant is base to ogive measurement variation.

That's very good considering those are 300gr bullets. I think other things like base to ogive variations are more important than perfect bullet weights, but I like to see bullets in the +- 0.2gr range. All of the Berger's I have weighed fall in that. The Hornady bullets are a little hit and miss in my experience. Some lots are really good, others are +- 1.0gr even on some of the ELDs. They still shoot well though for the most part.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.