Need opinions on 338 Bullets

Having no experience with the 250 LRX….I can't attest to it's capabilities!

I do have a question though……is there a fairly decent chance that your shot/shots could be at close range? If your answer is "yes"…..then the answer is the 250 LRX, hands down! It also has a good BC, and with your potential velocities…..it should also be a great long range bullet! It works from point blank to extended ranges…..what's not to like! 😉

I realize that this is a "long range" forum…..but, there appears to be a complete disregard to the possibility of a very close range shot! When shots could be measured in a few yards rather than the expected long ranges…..a good mono is a great option! JMO

My opinion is based solely on the use of 225 TTSX's @ 2950 from a .338 WM! memtb
Memtb- It is absolutely possible that there will be a chance for a close shot. I do like bullets that hold together at all ranges/velocities. To me, a bullet should reliably expand from whatever starting velocity down to the stated minimum velocity. If not, the bullet manufacturer should put a maximum velocity as well.

I will take a closer look at the 250 LRX. Thanks

I have hunted truck loads of deer with Nosler 225g Accubonds and 250g Accubonds out of different 338WM rifles. The 250 hits hard, in fact, for moose and bear I used 250g Partitions and never saw a failure. The 225g Accubonds is outstanding and shoots quite a bit flatter out to 500 than the 250g.
Another great bullet at those speeds is the 265g ABLR.

Cheers.
I have had great experiences with the AB and ABLR out of other rifles.. The 338 versions of those seem to be unobtainable though..

Having no experience with the 250 LRX….I can't attest to it's capabilities!

I do have a question though……is there a fairly decent chance that your shot/shots could be at close range? If your answer is "yes"…..then the answer is the 250 LRX, hands down! It also has a good BC, and with your potential velocities…..it should also be a great long range bullet! It works from point blank to extended ranges…..what's not to like! 😉

I realize that this is a "long range" forum…..but, there appears to be a complete disregard to the possibility of a very close range shot! When shots could be measured in a few yards rather than the expected long ranges…..a good mono is a great option! JMO

My opinion is based solely on the use of 225 TTSX's @ 2950 from a .338 WM! memtb
225 TTSX-BT 338lm 3100fps

Memtb- It is absolutely possible that there will be a chance for a close shot. I do like bullets that hold together at all ranges/velocities. To me, a bullet should reliably expand from whatever starting velocity down to the stated minimum velocity. If not, the bullet manufacturer should put a maximum velocity as well.

I will take a closer look at the 250 LRX. Thanks
If you are considering a mono, don't forget about the CE Lazer bullets. High BC fracturing mono that expands down to 1400fps or less.

Also I don't see the purpose of shooting light for caliber in a larger caliber cartridge. That said I'm shooting the 275 CE Lazer at 2944fps while fireforming 338 Norma into 338 NMI.

I just got done fire-forming the brass for my 338 MEGA, a 1-10" twist... I have Hornady 270 GR. ELD-X bullets on hand but want to know real world opinions and experiences from other 338 shooters. I have shot one animal with a 338, being with a Berger 250 EH. Without going into it, I am not a fan of Bergers. What do you other 338 shooters shoot? I am eyeing Hammers, Barnes 250 LRX and really wanting to find some Nosler 250 Accubonds. Let me know what you shoot!
One that has worked well in my 338 win mag in a 265grn Long Range AccuBond.

That's "rumbling along" at a pretty good clip! It should do a good job on game……out there a ways! 😉 memtb
IMG_5403.png

That'll work!👍 Assuming 1800 fps as the minimum for expansion….you have about, a plus 50 yards on my wife's .338 WM! And….assuming that both charts reflected the same (unlikel) atmospheric conditions! We ran our numbers based upon an elevation of 7000 feet, which would be typical of our elk hunting area! I'm guess'n yours was at a much lower elevations! memtb

That'll work!👍 Assuming 1800 fps as the minimum for expansion….you have about, a plus 50 yards on my wife's .338 WM! And….assuming that both charts reflected the same (unlikel) atmospheric conditions! We ran our numbers based upon an elevation of 7000 feet, which would be typical of our elk hunting area! I'm guess'n yours was at a much lower elevations! memtb
920' elevation

920' elevation

I kinda figured that! 😁

I based our data on where it is most likely to be used!

Our home lies in river bottom land….4220 ft., some of the lower elevations in Wyoming. My wife grew up in a town that going "downtown"……..literally meant going down to 7000 ft.😉 😁 memtb

Last edited: