Opinions on 338 bullets for elk within 500 yards

For me personally now that your also pushing some range I'd run the 250 Berger to allow you to get the ballistics your looking for and the Hammers for general purpose, I do this in my 28 Nosler and it works phenomenal!! I'm not worried about a Berger cause I've piled up a lot of game with them, I just enjoy what the Hammers bring to the table as well so rather on being worried about a single bullet solution rock two of the best. I zero for and carry the Hammers and since the Berger would be for dialing situations all you have to do it put in where your zeroed for them and you'll be nuts on from shooting them of your boots to 1000+

For me personally now that your also pushing some range I'd run the 250 Berger to allow you to get the ballistics your looking for and the Hammers for general purpose, I do this in my 28 Nosler and it works phenomenal!! I'm not worried about a Berger cause I've piled up a lot of game with them, I just enjoy what the Hammers bring to the table as well so rather on being worried about a single bullet solution rock two of the best. I zero for and carry the Hammers and since the Berger would be for dialing situations all you have to do it put in where your zeroed for them and you'll be nuts on from shooting them of your boots to 1000+
That's an option but would rather stick with one bullet one load even if I got to limit myself for distance

I have used 250 grain Berger's on Elk and large African non dangerous game. They have worked great out of my 338 Rum @ 3020 fps.

I need to get a new gun up and shooting for a 2021 elk/mule deer hunt. I am told shot opportunity will be 500 yards or less. I would like to have a load that performs at all ranges.

Gun is a christensen arms carbon classic in 33 nosler (very little load data for this cal.) With a bushnell forge 4.5-27×50 scope.

I have been waiting on nosler accubond lr 265 grain but talked to a few people that shot those out of other .338 caliber rifles and did not have any luck.

I have nosler brass and all kinds of powder available but need direction before buying a bunch of .338 bullets to collect dust.
I need to get a new gun up and shooting for a 2021 elk/mule deer hunt. I am told shot opportunity will be 500 yards or less. I would like to have a load that performs at all ranges.

Gun is a christensen arms carbon classic in 33 nosler (very little load data for this cal.) With a bushnell forge 4.5-27×50 scope.

I have been waiting on nosler accubond lr 265 grain but talked to a few people that shot those out of other .338 caliber rifles and did not have any luck.

I have nosler brass and all kinds of powder available but need direction before buying a bunch of .338 bullets to collect dust.[/QUOTE

I have nosler brass and all kinds of powder available but need direction before buying a bunch of .338 bullets to collect dust.

I have great luck with Nosler 338 Acu-bond, and ballistic tips. anywhere from 150 yards to 692 yards. I am not sure if you will like the next one. I would also look into Hornady SST's, they worked very well for me. Barnes for anything under 500 yards is my first choice, and Berger for anything over 400 yards. for over all performance Iw ould go with Nosler and Hornady. but if nothing makes the accuracy grade, then I would seek out Berger and Barnes.

I absolutely love the acubonds, use them in all of the calibers I have. I have used them in my 338 Lapua mag and have dropped bull elks at 800 yards no problem, this bullet works at all ranges, I would also recommend you look at perigren ( I know I spelled it wrong) but I have been having great results with them.

Have you ever shot game at day 25 yards or less with the Berger's?
I shot a bull broadside at 40 yards with a 300 gr Berger (which I would expect to have more penetration due to more mass and less velocity) and it didn't make it to the other side. He stood there and just took it like a champ, then absorbed more as he started to walk off. He wasn't exactly the biggest bull on the mountain and the cow I got last year @ <100 was at least his size. The 236 Hammer did a great job on that one. Up close to moderate range Hammers all the way, out far 300 gr Berger/SMK.

I shot a bull broadside at 40 yards with a 300 gr Berger (which I would expect to have more penetration due to more mass and less velocity) and it didn't make it to the other side. He stood there and just took it like a champ, then absorbed more as he started to walk off. He wasn't exactly the biggest bull on the mountain and the cow I got last year @ <100 was at least his size. The 236 Hammer did a great job on that one. Up close to moderate range Hammers all the way, out far 300 gr Berger/SMK.

I had similar experiences with "early" production Sierra 300 SPBT's from my .375 H&H on smaller game than elk! Hence the reason I have much disdain for fragile bullets. I've had shots at under 15 yards.....and do not want surface wounds from a bullet that comes "from untogether"! memtb

I have a 33 nosler and the 250 Elite hunter's are killing machines.. Mule deer, Barbary, Elk. I have had no performance issues.. Have killed out to 800 and they haven't let me down.

225 accubond. Done

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts