Opinions on a 7mm

Don't get me wrong, the 7/300 WM seems like a great caliber, but from everything I've seen, the advantage goes to the 7mm LRM. It is 7mmRM length, which means you can load to the lands in a Rem 700 LA and be nowhere near mag length, it uses no belt. Brass can be bought by the 100 for around $135, and dies are gonna cost you about $100, and you can rent a 7 LRM reamer.

If I were thinkgin about going 7/300 WM, I would strongly consider the 7 LRM and all the advantages it brings to the table.

Lucky for me, I already have my stepping stones starting at 7mm-08, and working my way up to 7mm STW. So I don't have an actual "need" for a 7LRM, but that doesn't mean that I won't build one in the future. :D

Co shooter,
I am designing a reamer for a 7mm nosler and Should start the build in a few months. Finally found a very generous guy to send me a few pieces of brass so I could build a dummy round.

Where does the 7Dakota fall in the mix?

I wouldn't even consider it.... Expensive and hard to find brass, and hard to find dies.

It's in the same category as the 7mm LRM as far as performance....Right around the 7 RemMag and the 7 STW.

I would build a regular 7RM before going Dakota. But if you want to find a commonly used performance caliber, just go ahead and go with the 7mm STW.

I built a 7x375 ruger a couple years back. It's similar to the 7lrm. I haven't shot it a lot but I am a rookie at long range shooting. But i was able to get a 3.5 inch group at 600yds my first time shooting that distance. And 1.5 inch group at 300yds. I am pleased with it. I have never chronographed it so I can't speak on its speed. I shoot 82 grains of retumbo with a 160 accubonds. 1 inch high at 100yds, and 24 inches low at 600yds. Forming the cases are pretty simple, 2 forming dies and 1 neck size die. I haven't loaded any loads that have grouped larger than 1.5 inches at 100 between h1000, retumbo, 20n-29. Shoots everything well. Just my 2 cents. Good luck.

Mud...

What is your COAL for the 7mm STW running 180 Bergers ?

SAAMI specs 3.600" for the STW and other sources show 3.655"

Just messing with a new 'cat design in 7mm and trying to finalize dimensions before calling in for reamer production...

a guy I worked with runs a 7mm-338 Lapua Mag and routinely blasts hard hat sized rocks at 1400 yards with the 168 Bergers at 3200 fps, sez he can load faster but there is no need as accuracy is stellar at that velocity

a guy I worked with runs a 7mm-338 Lapua Mag and routinely blasts hard hat sized rocks at 1400 yards with the 168 Bergers at 3200 fps, sez he can load faster but there is no need as accuracy is stellar at that velocity

That is a very soft load for the 7mm 338 LM. We got 3400 with 180's and had some case left years ago when we had one. I have seen 3200 with 180's from a 7mm / 300 win with a warm load of H-1000 and a 29" tube but we settled at 3175. With 168's we could easily be over 3200.

Never have done a 7mm-378 WBY. But I seen 3700 fps from 168's in a 30-378. This was a full house load and brass lasted two firings before the primer pocket on the soft Norma brass gave up. But if gives an idea of what to expect from a 7mm-378 Wby.

Jeff

Mud...

What is your COAL for the 7mm STW running 180 Bergers ?

SAAMI specs 3.600" for the STW and other sources show 3.655"

Just messing with a new 'cat design in 7mm and trying to finalize dimensions before calling in for reamer production...

I'm almost 3.900".....I can't remember exacting measurements. I wanna say somwhere between 3.850-3.900".

I don't do much OAL measuring, I measure from the Ogive. I can get you an exact measurement when I get home from work, if you'd like me to?

7mm Rem here. My brother in law and I put down a big brown bear and a couple of nice black bears last week with my 180 Berger HVLD/ RL33 load going 3140 fps from my 28" barrel. This rifle proved a lot to me this spring. I wouldn't hesitate to use it on any North American game.

3100plus with a regular rem 7 mag!:) I'm in!!! Just ran across this tread! Very good stuff here!! Just happen to have a pound of RL-33.

DT

Looking for opinions, thoughts, ideas, or experience on a 7mm.

I was searching various 7 wildcat threads. I am inquiring about a few in particular.

7/300 WM
7/300 WBY (I have a 270 Mk 5, possible donor)
7 LRM

I have been reading about success Broz and others have had with the 7/300 WM. My old smith who has passed always talked about and built 7/300 WBY. The 7 LRM is somewhat new with different success stories. Ultimately, looking at driving a 180 gr bullet somewhere north of 3000 FPS. Looking for 100-1000 yard gun capable of paper and animals anywhere in between. I do not own a 7mm caliber. I'm not against a standard 7mm rem mag, just looking for something different.

I know mud will chime in with his 7mm STW, lol, which there is nothing wrong with it. A 7mm WBY doesn't seem to get much love around here. However, this may be an easy option as I would just have to screw on a new barrel as the WBY bolt face would not need opened.

Thanks

I have been thinking of making a 7 SS reamer to go with my 6.5 SS, since a few people have shown interest. Would you be interested in a true short action that would shoot the 180's over 3000'?......Rich

I have been thinking of making a 7 SS reamer to go with my 6.5 SS, since a few people have shown interest. Would you be interested in a true short action that would shoot the 180's over 3000'?......Rich

Rich, you already know that piques my interest... :D

Just curious, but what is a SS? That's one I havnt heard about, I guess.

DT

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts