Opinions on a 7mm

C.O. Shooter

Looking for opinions, thoughts, ideas, or experience on a 7mm.

I was searching various 7 wildcat threads. I am inquiring about a few in particular.

7/300 WM
7/300 WBY (I have a 270 Mk 5, possible donor)
7 LRM

I have been reading about success Broz and others have had with the 7/300 WM. My old smith who has passed always talked about and built 7/300 WBY. The 7 LRM is somewhat new with different success stories. Ultimately, looking at driving a 180 gr bullet somewhere north of 3000 FPS. Looking for 100-1000 yard gun capable of paper and animals anywhere in between. I do not own a 7mm caliber. I'm not against a standard 7mm rem mag, just looking for something different.

I know mud will chime in with his 7mm STW, lol, which there is nothing wrong with it. A 7mm WBY doesn't seem to get much love around here. However, this may be an easy option as I would just have to screw on a new barrel as the WBY bolt face would not need opened.

Thanks

Ultimately, looking at driving a 180 gr bullet somewhere north of 3000 FPS.

I love to be different as well...but I'm getting a confirmed 3105 with 180 VLDs out of a 25" barrel in my 7mm Rem Mag.
RL33 and 180s are right on the edge of being compatible. Anything lighter doesn't work at optimum performance...but the 180s sure do.

I see no reason why the LRM and/or others cant achieve better...but the 7mm Rem Mag does it just fine for me.

How about a 284/26 Nosler. There is a thread on here about 26 Nosler wildcats including that one. Should be a pretty interesting round, no belt as in the LRM and it is the same length as the 30/06. With a bit of improved efficiency by using RL-33 I'm betting it will equal the parent 7mm RUM.

The 7mm is hard to beat for all around use and performance with huge projectile support. Just put a big ole powder charge behind it in what ever case shape you choose and let it rip. Have you considered a STW?

Looking for opinions, thoughts, ideas, or experience on a 7mm.

I was searching various 7 wildcat threads. I am inquiring about a few in particular.

7/300 WM
7/300 WBY (I have a 270 Mk 5, possible donor)
7 LRM

I have been reading about success Broz and others have had with the 7/300 WM. My old smith who has passed always talked about and built 7/300 WBY. The 7 LRM is somewhat new with different success stories. Ultimately, looking at driving a 180 gr bullet somewhere north of 3000 FPS. Looking for 100-1000 yard gun capable of paper and animals anywhere in between. I do not own a 7mm caliber. I'm not against a standard 7mm rem mag, just looking for something different.

I know mud will chime in with his 7mm STW, lol, which there is nothing wrong with it. A 7mm WBY doesn't seem to get much love around here. However, this may be an easy option as I would just have to screw on a new barrel as the WBY bolt face would not need opened.

Thanks
Sounds like you answered your own question right here! :D

7mm Wby is a good caliber, but for brass availability and cost, you'd be better off going with a plain ole 7mm RemMag.

Honestly though, that is a good list...However, the 7/300 Weatherby, is so close inbetween the STW and 7/300 WinMag, that I wouldn't consider it, personally.

The 7mm LRM has recently intrigued me. 7RM size, with an STW punch...

3100fps in a 7mm magnum with a 180 is about 200fps faster than any max load I can find. That RL-33 must be some powder. How much over 75 grains are you using?

7mm Rem here. My brother in law and I put down a big brown bear and a couple of nice black bears last week with my 180 Berger HVLD/ RL33 load going 3140 fps from my 28" barrel. This rifle proved a lot to me this spring. I wouldn't hesitate to use it on any North American game.

Wow that is some speed with a 180 in a 7 mag. Would like to see the recipe for that load. Wonder why it takes a lot more powder in an STW to get to that velocity with a 180?

Wow that is some speed with a 180 in a 7 mag. Would like to see the recipe for that load. Wonder why it takes a lot more powder in an STW to get to that velocity with a 180?

My load is 77 gr RL33 with a 180 VLD loaded to the lands in Winchester brass and a Fed 215M.

That's about 2 grains over Alliant's loading for the 175gr bullet. Just tried 77gr of RL-33 It is more than my Norma brass will hold and still be able to get the 180 VLD to seat down properly. It's up to the case neck shoulder junction. Guess the Winchester brass holds more.

Looking for opinions, thoughts, ideas, or experience on a 7mm

Looking at the Gunwerks 7mm LRM data is impressive.....but unless you want to spend 5-6K for one of their rifles you have to build your own. Since dies and reamers and brass are available that might not be a bad idea. Kenny Jarrett's 284 Jarret is also interesting....Last but definitely not least is the Remington 7mm RUM. Lordy, if you can't kill it with that run away! Bottom line is I think the most excellent 7MM bore size may be with us for a long time to come...not a bad idea at all.

That's about 2 grains over Alliant's loading for the 175gr bullet. Just tried 77gr of RL-33 It is more than my Norma brass will hold and still be able to get the 180 VLD to seat down properly. It's up to the case neck shoulder junction. Guess the Winchester brass holds more.

I loaded to my rifle's max pressure showing slight ejector swipe then I backed off half a grain, which, BTW was conveniently the most accurate charge. There is a slight crunch with 77 grains, but I can still hear powder shaking in a loaded round when my bullets are seated out to touch the lands.

I loaded to my rifle's max pressure showing slight ejector swipe then I backed off half a grain, which, BTW was conveniently the most accurate charge. There is a slight crunch with 77 grains, but I can still hear powder shaking in a loaded round when my bullets are seated out to touch the lands.

I did similar. I got up to 79 before I had unacceptable pressure signs.
My primers still look good, and I only have very very slight bolt lift with Nosler brass. I get a slight crunch when I seat, powder is just below the neck/shoulder junction and I do give the press two slow strokes to make sure it seats where I want it.

I'm using 78.2gr loaded at mag length. I'd have to consult my notes to remember how far off the lands I am.
But the best part is that I am shooting 168 and 180 vlds into very similar sized groups (.3-.4" at 100) with the same charge, the same die setting.
If I happen to run out of 168s or 180s...all I need to do is load up my brass with something else, and rezero.

168s are going about 3030
180s are going about 3105 with the exact same charge and seating depth.

I think the larger 190 Matrix or 195 VLDs would be even better suited.

The 7 LRM seems promising. I have watched about every episode of Gunwerks and read various articles related to their caliber! I have contacted Gunwerks about dies, bullets, brass, and a reamer, which are somewhat reasonable for what you get. However, the 7/300 WM may be a cheaper/easier option with similar results.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.