Load opinions for 7mm mag

cmiller36

Getting ready to break in my Sendero 7mm mag. Anyone have any opinions on a good load(s) to start with? I'll be zeroing at 200 yards.

I use the 162gr A-max and 160gr Accubond with RL-22 and couldn't be happier with their performance (always sub 1/2moa, sometimes sub 1/4moa)

I use Norma brass and Fed 9 1/2 (non magnum) primers.

I load both bullets to around 3000fps or just a touch faster (my rifle has a 24" barrel, you'll get a touch more velocity from the Sendero 26"er).

RL-22 is a proven performer in the 7mm Rem Mag.

AJ

I thought I would be smart, save some money and break my new 7 mag. in with some cheap remington core-lokts, BIG mistake, these bullets foul like no tomorrow. Once I switched to accubonds and bergers, problem was solved.

Tony.

I shot 150gn Ballistic Tips ahead of 67gns of RL22 and BR2's in the first 7Mag Sendero that I had. Now I use 63.5gn of IMR4350 and 9.5M's behind the 150 NBT in my 700P. JohnnyK.

I use the 162gr A-max and 160gr Accubond with RL-22 and couldn't be happier with their performance (always sub 1/2moa, sometimes sub 1/4moa)...

AJ

Do you find RL 22 to be temperature sensitive ? I do. Cold weather hunting turned my 1/2 inch groups into 2.5 inch groups.
In my 7mm Rem Mag I am using RL 19 and Magnum for testing now.

H 4831 seems to be very temp. stable also. But I can't get the velocity over 3100 without sacrificing accuracy.

Currently I am trying a ladder of 70 to 72 grains of Magnum with Horn 154 over CCI- 200.
I'll let you know how it works out.

JM .02

Do you find RL 22 to be temperature sensitive ? I do. Cold weather hunting turned my 1/2 inch groups into 2.5 inch groups.
In my 7mm Rem Mag I am using RL 19 and Magnum for testing now.

H 4831 seems to be very temp. stable also. But I can't get the velocity over 3100 without sacrificing accuracy.

Currently I am trying a ladder of 70 to 72 grains of Magnum with Horn 154 over CCI- 200.
I'll let you know how it works out.

JM .02

Never noticed a change in group size, however, I haven't specifically tested for it.

AJ

I use the 162gr A-max and 160gr Accubond with RL-22 and couldn't be happier with their performance (always sub 1/2moa, sometimes sub 1/4moa)

I use Norma brass and Fed 9 1/2 (non magnum) primers.

I load both bullets to around 3000fps or just a touch faster (my rifle has a 24" barrel, you'll get a touch more velocity from the Sendero 26"er).

AJ[/quote

100% X2 this load always works for me, very accurate

some of my loads

64g RL22 and 168 berger seated .80 thou off the lands
68g Ret and 180 Berger seated .10 off the lands
69g H1000 and 162g Amax seated .10 off the lands
I've used several differnet Barnes bullets and they like it .5 off the lands. Of course those insanely expensive MRX bullets shot the best.

All of these loads are have given me .5MOA performance. Just not all the time. that is the trick.

I had a similar gun. I'd get a better trigger. I like Jewell.
Make sure you really scrub that barrel between breakin in shots. 65+ grains of powder will really dirty up a barrel.
I had problems with the HS precision stock and the action. I had to bed it because the action rubbed against the stock more than I liked.

I've spent about 10m just reloading for the same caliber. I've made plenty of mistakes but learned a ton.

Good things. The new RCBS dies do pretty well. Imperial sizing wax is the bomb. Don't bother turning the necks.

Dumb things I've done. Some recently
Annealing cases by hand holding them with a leather glove. The heat wasn't a problem but un even heating messed up the brass.
Too much neck turning decreased neck tension if you don't have a bushing type die.
Make sure the action screws and scope stays strong. Loose screws will screw up a day at the range.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.