Opinions on 338 bullets for elk within 500 yards

In my 338 WinMags and for 600 and under, I run the 210NPT, 225AB and the 225TTSX. For years, I liked the 250's, but given the lower speeds of the WinMag, I changed to the faster/flatter shooting 225's. All have worked well for me.

I just got back from Africa and used my 338 for almost everything. I loaded the Sledge Hammer 225 grain bullets. I took a fifteen hundred pound Eland; the bullet punched through both shoulders and took the top of the heart off. You couldn't ask more in terms of penetration. Every animal was one shot kills and the bullets exited every animal except my black Wildebeest. The Black Wildebeest was hit on the upper right chest and the bullet punched through the entire length of the animal and was found in the left hindquarters against the skin. The 225 grain bullet is more than enough weight and is excellent if you're taking shots out to 300-500 yards. I'm sold on Hammer bullets. I used Nosler brass, RL17 and CCI large rifle magnum primers, and had the bullets touching the lands.

Last edited:
I sent a pm to the op. Looking at load data and running some numbers on the JBM, the 33 Nosler is a tough order for 1000y hunting. More of an 800y hunting rifle. It just doesn't have the hp to get to the 1000y mark well. If we can get the 260g Hammer Hunter to fit in the rifle without single feeding, I would be comfortable hunting with it to 1000y, depending on the altitude. Figuring a conservative 2850 fps mv and standard atmosphere at 4000' elev we would be looking at ~1700 fps impact at 1000y. This bullet with the more slender nose and higher sectional density, I would be comfortable. With the 236g Hammer Hunter I would keep the impact vel min at 1800 fps. Being a fatter nosed bullet with less sectional density, it will not deform properly at as low a vel as the 260g Hammer Hunter. I am figuring that we can get the 236g, conservatively, to 2950 fps. This will put this combo at ~800y for hunting.

Not sure of the mag length of the CA in 33 Nosler, but if we can get them out to 3.6" there is very good potential to push the 260g Hammer Hunter well past the predicted 2850 fps.

I am flexible on the 1000 yard distance I can understand that you can only get so much out of a particular cartridge.

To the comment about the 250 SMK penciling through, make sure the tips are opened (as with the 300 SMK and all the Bergers) and you will not have this problem. Got a buddy that used them for a long time in several .338's with excellent results.
And I am on the same page about what Steve just posted about his 236 Hammers. I am running them at the 2950 he stated and used the 800 yards as max as he stated.

My .340 is my Go to Elk Rifle - it has done its job on 13 or so - I used to use HT's till cudnt Get; and went to TSX & TTSX with equal Satisfaction — @ 3300 I couldn't B happier & my best is 5 into 1.25" 300 metres Love It, & 33's has been my caliber for years !

I need to get a new gun up and shooting for a 2021 elk/mule deer hunt. I am told shot opportunity will be 500 yards or less. I would like to have a load that performs at all ranges.

Gun is a christensen arms carbon classic in 33 nosler (very little load data for this cal.) With a bushnell forge 4.5-27×50 scope.

I have been waiting on nosler accubond lr 265 grain but talked to a few people that shot those out of other .338 caliber rifles and did not have any luck.

I have nosler brass and all kinds of powder available but need direction before buying a bunch of .338 bullets to collect dust.
Using the Swift A Frame in the 250 gr or 275 gr would be an excellent choice, pushed by Retumbo ( the least temperature sensitive ) or RL26, RL33

338 edge/300gn smk 2660 fps, has accounted for 2 bou, kodiak buck, 3 cow elk. Flattened all of them where they stood. Shots on bou were 125 and 350 , deer 750 , elk from 300- 550 Nothing crazy there!

I like the suggestions for Hammer Hunters and TTSX/LRX bullets. With Hammer Hunters the 213grain is especially recommended. It is very long for its weight and has a BC of .542, which is almost the same as the 236gnHH at .546 BC. Both will adequately penetrate on elk from any angle, and the 213HH has the added advantage of an extra 100-150fps velocity for a better trajectory in drop and wind resistance.

In Africa in the 80's we had a lot of experience and good memories with the 250grain Nosler Partition. It was a great bullet but it would lose quite a bit of its nose and did not always exit from large antelope (e.g. roan, waterbuck, even hartebeest). More recently we have used 225grain TTSX and with excellent results and 5 out of 5 exits, including a finishing shot on a buffalo and a diagonal inside front hartebeest shoulder, and waterbuck.

So my top three suggestions would be the 213gnHH, 250gn LRX and 225 TTSX. See what is the most accurate in your rifle, then choose the fastest between two equally accurate loads. You will be able to have complete confidence in the bullet under all conditions 0-500 yards.

Have you shot any game close range with the 250 EH? I have no doubt on longer range performance but want best of both worlds

yes on a few occasions. Shot though and broke both front shoulders on a large black bear at 175 yards.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.