Opinions on 338 bullets for elk within 500 yards

Don't ignore the 210 Barnes. I know everyone says go heavier for caliber in the 338 but I like 225gr and below. Running a 21" barrel so not lighting up the Chrono anyway

Just about any bullet 225gr or bigger. I've had great accuracy and terminal results with 250 grain Accu bond and 250 gr Berger elite.

I would stay away from the 250 SMK just because I've seen them pencil and in elk and oryx a few times

For a combination Elk and deer hunt where the shots will be less than 500 yards I would go with bullets in the 185 to 210 gr. range. Perfectly adequate and less recoil.

For a combination Elk and deer hunt where the shots will be less than 500 yards I would go with bullets in the 185 to 210 gr. range. Perfectly adequate and less recoil.
Not to sound counter productive on your comment, but in my opinion if you plan to run those light of bullets a .300 win mag is plenty enough gun. If you look at it from just a run of the mill consumer aspect. Hornady's precision hunter line of ammo, is throwing a 200 eld-x at 2850fps, and has shown excellent results accross all boards. If you want light bullets, use smaller calibers, .308, .30-06, .300wm. .338caliber the 225-300 grain should be utilized. If your caliber as the ability to toss a big rock with Accuracy, my person opinion is that should be the bullet of choice.

I need to get a new gun up and shooting for a 2021 elk/mule deer hunt. I am told shot opportunity will be 500 yards or less. I would like to have a load that performs at all ranges.

Gun is a christensen arms carbon classic in 33 nosler (very little load data for this cal.) With a bushnell forge 4.5-27×50 scope.

I have been waiting on nosler accubond lr 265 grain but talked to a few people that shot those out of other .338 caliber rifles and did not have any luck.

I have nosler brass and all kinds of powder available but need direction before buying a bunch of .338 bullets to collect dust.
After shooting 250 grain loads with the substantial amount of drop I desired to find a flatter shooting load to serve the same purpose I feel you are trying to do. My solution was the 180 grain Nosler Accubond behind IMR 4831 which provided a muzzle velocity of 3318fps. My longest kill was at 707yds but after looking at the bullet afterwards, it had very little expansion. It performed excellent on a cow elk at 528yds, however, and was superb at ranges between 130-350yds on mule deer.

Using a 250gr Accubond @ 3,000 ft/sec, I shot a 15pt bull moose on the point of his shoulder as he stood broadside. The big bull reared up and flipped over backwards. DRT
The Accubond traveled through BOTH shoulders and came to rest under the skin on the off-side. The recovered bullet was fully mushroomed and (somehow) maintained 140gr. That's pretty impressive considering that the bull was only 54yds away and the Accubond impacted at near muzzle velocity.

Contrary to what I've occasionally read, I have yet to see an Accubond over-expand or "explode" on a game animal regardless of impact velocity. Now ... the AB Longrange, that's a different story entirely.

I need to get a new gun up and shooting for a 2021 elk/mule deer hunt. I am told shot opportunity will be 500 yards or less. I would like to have a load that performs at all ranges.

Gun is a christensen arms carbon classic in 33 nosler (very little load data for this cal.) With a bushnell forge 4.5-27×50 scope.

I have been waiting on nosler accubond lr 265 grain but talked to a few people that shot those out of other .338 caliber rifles and did not have any luck.

I have nosler brass and all kinds of powder available but need direction before buying a bunch of .338 bullets to collect dust.

I like the cutting edge mth 252 or 265 gr. bullits the fracture so they will not explode.and you can run them fast or slow.they are very consistant in my 338 edge. There are very stable considering there lenght. The only down side is you have to single load the rifle.but they make a side saddle that velcros on the stock in front of the receiver. Good luck.

Hello Jared Jack

I usually do load my .300 mags with 180's and 200 gr. bullets, (mostly Nosler partitions), and they have served me well over the years. But I like my .338's as well, especially my .338-06 and I load it with 180's and 210 grains and am not afraid to use it on larger game at shorter ranges. My wife uses a .338 Federal and it knocks down deer and elk with the 185 Barnes quite nicely at ranges under 250 yards, which she sets as her max. I also load my .338 Win. Mag. with 225 grains for use up in the north country. It works very well on big moose.

After shooting 250 grain loads with the substantial amount of drop I desired to find a flatter shooting load to serve the same purpose I feel you are trying to do. My solution was the 180 grain Nosler Accubond behind IMR 4831 which provided a muzzle velocity of 3318fps. My longest kill was at 707yds but after looking at the bullet afterwards, it had very little expansion. It performed excellent on a cow elk at 528yds, however, and was superb at ranges between 130-350yds on mule deer.
I was shooting a 338 Winchester Magnum so your ballistics should be even higher.

FWIW - here is what the 250gr Berger EH bullet is capable of in my rifle.

236gr Hammer.jpg

I run 285gr AMax thru my .338LM at 2877 FPS, they have dropped every elk DRT. The shots have ranged from just over 300 to just under 850 yds.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.