Opinions on 338 bullets for elk within 500 yards

My 338 EDGE likes 250g SGKs with 100g of H1000: 3100fps. No plan to hunt eld but I have no doubt about a 500yd shot.
I have been using 250 gamekings for break in over a low powder charge getting 2650 fps they group well at 100 yards for a throw together load

I need to get a new gun up and shooting for a 2021 elk/mule deer hunt. I am told shot opportunity will be 500 yards or less. I would like to have a load that performs at all ranges.

Gun is a christensen arms carbon classic in 33 nosler (very little load data for this cal.) With a bushnell forge 4.5-27×50 scope.

I have been waiting on nosler accubond lr 265 grain but talked to a few people that shot those out of other .338 caliber rifles and did not have any luck.

I have nosler brass and all kinds of powder available but need direction before buying a bunch of .338 bullets to collect dust.
I use 225 gr Barnes 225 tripleshok @ 2900fps in a 338 win mag. They peel back and mushroom nicely although most shots pass through . Use 300gr SMK in Lapua 338 @2730 for long range work. These always pass through.

I recommend you avoid Accubonds. I have seen them come apart explosively on impact when velocity is over 3,000 fps, and with a close shot you could be over 3,000 fps.

I recommend you avoid Accubonds. I have seen them come apart explosively on impact when velocity is over 3,000 fps, and with a close shot you could be over 3,000

That's my concern I need best of both worlds, shots could be a few yards up to 500 but ideally would like to have o e bullet to do what i need between 5-1000 yards so i dont have to try a new load every time there is a new hunting scenario

I have access to thre boxes of 250 elite hunters, what fps are you running them?

I am shooting the 250 grain Berger Elite Hunter's out of my 338 RUM and they have performed flawlessly. I am averaging approximately 2825 fps with a 90 grain load of Retumbo. I know some would consider this "slow", but it has proven to be extremely accurate in my rifle.

This was the set-up I used to harvest my Yukon Moose in Alaska. The shot was 110 yards, bull was quartering away from me, and it was a one-and-done situation. Bull walked maybe 10 yards and went down at his final resting place. Hope this helps.

I run the 225 ttsx in my 33, imr7977, not a super hot load my accuracy was at 2850fps. Only one black bear and a moose so far, but it performed well on each one.

I wouldn't hesitate to use a 225 or 250 accubond, or any of the ttsx/tsx/lrx bullets. Just skip the eld/vld stuff if your shots are going to mainly be in the under 100y range.

Hopefully your CA rifle is chambered so it can use the longer mag length of a true long action, you can gain a fair amount of case capacity being able to seat out 3.6 - 3.8" instead of under 3.4" like my nosler rifle.

Just my two cents, I own a Nosler M48 long range carbon in 33 nosler, with a NF Nx8 4-32x50.I Smoked a nice mule deer buck 4x4 at 325,This past October in Colorado. Have been shooting factory 265 ABLR. With great success. Shooting 3/4" groups at 100 and 2.5" at 500. Im very Impressed with the guns weight and calibers performance. Looking to do some reloading in near future.

Just my two cents, I own a Nosler M48 long range carbon in 33 nosler, with a NF Nx8 4-32x50.I Smoked a nice mule deer buck 4x4 at 325,This past October in Colorado. Have been shooting factory 265 ABLR. With great success. Shooting 3/4" groups at 100 and 2.5" at 500. Im very Impressed with the guns weight and calibers performance. Looking to do some reloading in near future.
The 265 ablr was my original plan for reloading

416551A1-A088-45CF-A709-5DFF136A1D25.jpeg

I run the 225 ttsx in my 33, imr7977, not a super hot load my accuracy was at 2850fps. Only one black bear and a moose so far, but it performed well on each one.

I wouldn't hesitate to use a 225 or 250 accubond, or any of the ttsx/tsx/lrx bullets. Just skip the eld/vld stuff if your shots are going to mainly be in the under 100y range.

Hopefully your CA rifle is chambered so it can use the longer mag length of a true long action, you can gain a fair amount of case capacity being able to seat out 3.6 - 3.8" instead of under 3.4" like my nosler rifle.
Is 2850 about max fps for the 225 or is it the most accurate?

I need to get a new gun up and shooting for a 2021 elk/mule deer hunt. I am told shot opportunity will be 500 yards or less. I would like to have a load that performs at all ranges.

Gun is a christensen arms carbon classic in 33 nosler (very little load data for this cal.) With a bushnell forge 4.5-27×50 scope.

I have been waiting on nosler accubond lr 265 grain but talked to a few people that shot those out of other .338 caliber rifles and did not have any luck.

I have nosler brass and all kinds of powder available but need direction before buying a bunch of .338 bullets to collect dust.
The 338 is one of the best all around calibers out there and if you reload you can go from 210gr to 300 with excellent ballistics ! I reloaded some 225gr with accubonds using reloaded 19 and the result was a one shot kill on a bull moose !

The 338 is one of the best all around calibers out there and if you reload you can go from 210gr to 300 with excellent ballistics ! I reloaded some 225gr with accubonds using reloaded 19 and the result was a one shot kill on a bull moose !
I agree I wanted a 338 elk hammer and my father has 338 ultra mags, which is the direction I was heading until I got $1000 dollars off a CA carbon classic and was limited to 33 bowler still a .338 caliber just less info out there and new to me cartridge

I agree I wanted a 338 elk hammer and my father has 338 ultra mags, which is the direction I was heading until I got $1000 dollars off a CA carbon classic and was limited to 33 bowler still a .338 caliber just less info out there and new to me cartridge
33 nosler I hate auto correct!

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.