308 168 vld for elk under 500 yards

predator1

i have committed 2 becoming proficient at long range. the 168 bergers shoot very well out of my gun. i plan on using new rifle all year for everything. savage 10fp stockade varmint tactical 24'' barrel vx2 6-18 load running bout 2850 fps is this a decent load 4 elk under 500 yards. broadside only shots. would like 2 stay with one rifle and load and b d c turret for everything this year. coyotes whitetai mulies and possibly elk. this site has really helped me with all my decisions so far. lots of info on this site. i love the honest and reakistic opinions all give. thanks again.

I don't know about the 168's but I shot a 130 lbs doe whitetail at 112 yards with a 155 gr VLD 2750 fps from my 30X47 HBR this year with POI the back edge of the front shoulder and exit through the middle of the off side shoulder and it blew a baseball size exit hole and it's vitals looked like you had run them through a blender. There was lung tissue and blood streaked for 5 yards on the off side on the ground and the deer still ran about 50 yards before it went down. But I also had for the first time in over 100 deer shot with my 25-06 with a 117 Sierra bullet a deer get up off the ground and go about 50 yards. The shot was perfect right through the center of one front shoulder and exit out the other. The deer hit the ground like a rock like every other deer I have shot with this rifle. There was some knee high grass where the deer was standing and I could see it's back legs kicking about three times in the air. When I looked up from the scope and ejected the spent case I see a little falsh where the deer was and hear it run and crash. When I went to find the deer it had gone about 50 yards. I think the deer are taking tuff pills or something this year.

I too think I would want a little tougher bullet for Elk. How would you want to have a BIG ONE come out and only present you with an odd angle like quartering toward you and the only shot you would have is to go through a shoulder bone? I would go for the 165 Accubond myself for Elk. There should not be that much difference in zero inside 500 yards.

I would trust the 168 berger, but as others have said, the accubond is a great bullet for what you want to do.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.