opinion on most accurate prwder measuer?

Wildhog

would like opinions on the best (most accurate and smooth operating) mechanical powder measurer. your input would be greatly appreciated

If you are talking pure mechanical measures, the best is one of the Harrels measures.

However, If you are serious into LR, you better weigh the charges. Absolutely no measure dispenses the large grain powders normally used to the degree of accuracy you need.

That in reality puts you in the need of a measure that puts you clos or a digital scales and dispenser combo.

BH

How accurate do you want it to be? If within a range of .10-.15gr is sufficient, most any measure should do that, provided you do your part by being consistent in its operation.

Although some measures don't like stick powders, while others don't like flake, I know of at least two that will easily handle all powders w/o a problem: the Belding & Mull (and its clones) and the Quick-Measure.

Wildhog,

There is no "one" most accuate, but that takes a bit of explaining. Expanding on Kevin's comments a bit, they all tend to do better with some types of powders, and not quite so well with others. This applies even to the top of the line benchrest measures like the Harrells. I bought one some years back, and took the time to run it against several other measure I had at the time. I ran hundred throw runs with several different types of powders, weighing each and every throw and averaging them for ES and SD. In the end, I found that the Harrell gave the best result with certian powders, and not nearly as well with some others. I ran it against a Redding BR-3 and a BR-30, as well as a Seely Masker converted Lyman, and got similar results with all of them; they each had their own bright spots, and others that they didn't show so well against the others. In addition, they also show preferences fro certian amounts of powder. In other words, they all seem to have a "sweet spot" of volume that they give their best results within. Go outside (above OR below)their sweet spot, and the ES and SDs tend to go up. I wound up sticking with the Redding BR-30 for most of my reloading, and selling off the others. For what I'm generally doing, that's the best combination for me. Not knocking the Harrells, and they're very well made.

Nothing wrong with thrown powder charges for shooting out to around 600 yards, but you'll find that most shooters competeing in LR matches use that as the dividing line between what we'll throw, and what we weigh out individually.

Last edited:
I have to agree with others on this question. It depends on what you would consider accurate. Within 1 grain or a tenth of a grain? What powder? My ancient Lyman 55 throws within a tenth all day long with any of the long extruded powders and with any of the sperical or flake powders I don't bother to weigh each charge but weigh every tenth charge.

When I am working up a load for any given rifle I always use a powder trickler and a scale.

Just my half cent worth (times are tough).

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.