One powder to rule them all (30-06)?

That's what I use in many loads. H4831 is a stable, slow, consistant powder. In my 6-284 I can fill the case to the top, compress the load while Seating the bullet, and have at. Cant overload, no pressure signs and always flys true. Theosmithjr

Yuppers,,, that's what I like about H 4831,,, safest bet since a person can't over charge with that powder in the Ought-6 case...

Consistency is spot on no matter what charge a persons rifle likes,,, yes,,, it might not be the fast boolit launching powder,,, the accuracy department makes up for that category...

My 12 lb heavy barrel with the Remple Bypod and solid bunny ear bag allows that to stay planted...

My plan that I mentioned on my other thread was to test run some loads in my new too me REMMY BDL Ought-6... Mother Nature decided to throw a 30 mpr 10" snow storm at us today...

Next weekend is the game plan now. Ha

Reporting from round 4 of the frozen North,,, and its not even close to the May 24th Strom. LOL...

For Barnes 150 gn TTSX, 56 gn of Ramshot Hunter Fed 210 or 210match primers.

For Sierra 165 gn BTHP bullets 48gn of IMR4064 and 210 primers works excellant.
Most accurate load I've ever found for Remington 30/06 autoloaders.

Buddy just got "gran pappy's 30-06". Literally. It's a pre-64 M70 passed down from grandfather to father to son. We're looking to reload for it, and though I have several bullet choices on my shelf (I have a 308), I don't have much left in the powder department for 06.

I've only got enough H4350 and IMR4350 for a dozen or so rounds each, but otherwise the pickings are slim.

The rifle will pull duty as a long range target gun for fun, and more importantly, a ≤ 400 yd deer/elk rifle.

What powder is your favorite for 165-180 gr class bullets? He's not going to be shooting a ton, and obviously isn't trying to create a half minute tack driver, so we're looking for one good powder that will just "get the job done".
I have used 4064 for year's and 4831 also. You just can't go wrong with either of them.

I use IMR 4350 behind a Nosler Accubond 180 grain in the .30-06. Why mess with other powders when IMR 4350 works so good.

Buddy just got "gran pappy's 30-06". Literally. It's a pre-64 M70 passed down from grandfather to father to son. We're looking to reload for it, and though I have several bullet choices on my shelf (I have a 308), I don't have much left in the powder department for 06.

I've only got enough H4350 and IMR4350 for a dozen or so rounds each, but otherwise the pickings are slim.

The rifle will pull duty as a long range target gun for fun, and more importantly, a ≤ 400 yd deer/elk rifle.

What powder is your favorite for 165-180 gr class bullets? He's not going to be shooting a ton, and obviously isn't trying to create a half minute tack driver, so we're looking for one good powder that will just "get the job done".
I have a Sako 30/06 and it loves 4064. 51.2 grains. and 150 g Hornady bullets.

I like the 166 gr Hammer Hunter. Steve's bullets are spot on. I load 4451 powder.
My starting load was 53.5 Gr---2748 ft/s and I worked up to 58.0 gr---2905 ft/s.
55.0 gr was very accurate and consistent. I liked the fact that when I cleaned the barrel the bore was free of copper. A good combo with Steve's copper mono's and the 4451.

This is out of a Win 70 Featherweight.

I know it moved a 215 berger in my 06 to 2800 FPS and I could do faster but started to see pressure.

Wholly crap bat-man,,, I'd sure like to know how to make loads like that.

The best I could do with 200 gr Hornady ELD-X'S was 2580 ft-per seconds loaded hot from a custom 26" Sherman with 1:10 twist...

Is your 30/06 AI'ed... She must be bursting at the seems.

Koodoos on you with a load like that. What powder weigth in grain, primer, case and 215 gr boolit are you using.

The best I could do with 200 gr Hornady ELD-X'S was 2580 ft-per seconds loaded hot from a custom 26" Sherman with 1:10 twist...

Koodoos on you with a load like that. What powder weigth in grain, primer, case and 215 gr boolit are you using.

I think that velocity is a typo so don't get to excited Don.

The 30/06 was designed to get 3000+ ft/sec using a 150 grain bullet and the upper end of the bullet weight was considered 180 grain, and 2700 +- is at the pressure limit. if someone is reaching 2800 with a 215 grain bullet they are way over SAMMI pressures.

Not that it can't be done, just that it shouldn't be done.

J E CUSTOM

Don

The 30-06 is no AI'ed its the standard case. BUT thats where it ends. This Gun has LONG and I mean LONG throat. Even with a COAL of 3.623 the Bullet was still off the rifling .26 inches yes over a 1/4 inch. I never had still bolt lift or bad primers. Shot the load below for years with no brass problems and I started out with well used brass. The brass is Winchester. I no longer use this load but switched to RL26 and am now getting a little over 2850 No presser problems that I can tell. Cant get enough powder in to over pressure. I do believe it's how far out the bullet is seated and that gains me extra room. BUT I think the long free bore is the biggest help for the speed. Pimer pockets are still good. And this brass has had over 8 reloads maybe more.

The charge weight is 57.5 Grains. I used a CCI200 large rifle primer COAL for the load was 3.623 Bullet is the 215 Berger Hybrid. The barrel is a 1:10 twist Shilen.

This load I am sure would lock up a standard, normal throated 30-06. With that said do not copy this load.

4895 was developed for the 30/06 and Garand. Very good powder and velocities. If you look on the Hodgdon powder site, reloading manual, it'll give you plenty of good loads. Initially, for the Garand 48grs 4895 and 150gr bullet was it. But hotter loads can be made up these days. Reloder 19 a good one too. Using 4895 you can get 3,000 fps from a 150 gr bullet. 4350 kind of slow for the 165 etc in the 06, and 4831 way too slow. Or lets just say, better powders out there than those two. Accurate has some powders, 2450 I think is one, very good with the 06, and being a ball type, meters well and fills nicely. Been shooting an 06, since 1959. Hard to beat..

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.