One powder to rule them all (30-06)?

entoptics

Buddy just got "gran pappy's 30-06". Literally. It's a pre-64 M70 passed down from grandfather to father to son. We're looking to reload for it, and though I have several bullet choices on my shelf (I have a 308), I don't have much left in the powder department for 06.

I've only got enough H4350 and IMR4350 for a dozen or so rounds each, but otherwise the pickings are slim.

The rifle will pull duty as a long range target gun for fun, and more importantly, a ≤ 400 yd deer/elk rifle.

What powder is your favorite for 165-180 gr class bullets? He's not going to be shooting a ton, and obviously isn't trying to create a half minute tack driver, so we're looking for one good powder that will just "get the job done".

Yuppers,,, H or IMR 4350,,, and H4831...

I use both of those powders for 168 to 180 grain'ers...

I tried Varget and IMR 4064 that I have for my 308's,,, but I find it to erotic for that size of cases... Or should I say """Crisp."""

Supform if you can get it in your area is a good powder for the 165/ 168gr bullets...

And yes H 4831 is a very slow burn,,, I find it fills the case nicely and is super accurate fore sure...

A nice smooth release with constancy...

Good luck finding what works.

Buddy just got "gran pappy's 30-06". Literally. It's a pre-64 M70 passed down from grandfather to father to son. We're looking to reload for it, and though I have several bullet choices on my shelf (I have a 308), I don't have much left in the powder department for 06.

I've only got enough H4350 and IMR4350 for a dozen or so rounds each, but otherwise the pickings are slim.

The rifle will pull duty as a long range target gun for fun, and more importantly, a ≤ 400 yd deer/elk rifle.

What powder is your favorite for 165-180 gr class bullets? He's not going to be shooting a ton, and obviously isn't trying to create a half minute tack driver, so we're looking for one good powder that will just "get the job done".
I have found that IDA's AR2208 a fantastic and extremely stable powder at most temperatures, for 222 through to 7mm and 30 cals, not sure what it's called in the states, but I know several companies over their buy and rebrand it, if you look at the ADI website it has the conversions.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.