One powder to rule them all (30-06)?

I been using winchester 760, in my litte mkv , 3006, with the 165gr barnes bullets and I'm getting very very good group bullet hole cutting ,with tsx, but I would try some of Hornaday ammo it done good for me also

Buddy just got "gran pappy's 30-06". Literally. It's a pre-64 M70 passed down from grandfather to father to son. We're looking to reload for it, and though I have several bullet choices on my shelf (I have a 308), I don't have much left in the powder department for 06.

I've only got enough H4350 and IMR4350 for a dozen or so rounds each, but otherwise the pickings are slim.

The rifle will pull duty as a long range target gun for fun, and more importantly, a ≤ 400 yd deer/elk rifle.

What powder is your favorite for 165-180 gr class bullets? He's not going to be shooting a ton, and obviously isn't trying to create a half minute tack driver, so we're looking for one good powder that will just "get the job done".

I was using Hodgdons Varget for both my 30-06 and 308 , was able to get consistent results everytime .

I've never had a problem with mine so on have also used hodgen hv100 for 180gr partition rounds and I will shoot with the best and have done in. The past

I've always had great luck with imr 4064 in all of my 06's. As a matter of fact it's worked so well in several others also , I try to keep around 16 lb at a time just in case it gets hard to find . Lol

Reloader 17 for whatever bullet you want to use under 200 grains. Excellent velocity and consistency. Nothing wrong with the others mentioned, but you'll get more speed from 17, and that will be important at 400 yards.

Reloader 17 for whatever bullet you want to use under 200 grains. Excellent velocity and consistency. Nothing wrong with the others mentioned, but you'll get more speed from 17, and that will be important at 400 yards.
AA2700 and Ramshot Hunter will be excellent, too.

Buddy just got "gran pappy's 30-06". Literally. It's a pre-64 M70 passed down from grandfather to father to son. We're looking to reload for it, and though I have several bullet choices on my shelf (I have a 308), I don't have much left in the powder department for 06.

I've only got enough H4350 and IMR4350 for a dozen or so rounds each, but otherwise the pickings are slim.

The rifle will pull duty as a long range target gun for fun, and more importantly, a ≤ 400 yd deer/elk rifle.

What powder is your favorite for 165-180 gr class bullets? He's not going to be shooting a ton, and obviously isn't trying to create a half minute tack driver, so we're looking for one good powder that will just "get the job done".

I haven't fine tuned this load but it was decent. 168 gr Hornady with 51.6 g of 4350. and for 178 gr bullet I was using 58.6 gr of 4831sc. These were old loads. I have picked up my 30-06 in a while. I have 2 old 30-06 rifles, 1 in a mauser action, the other in a 03 Sprinfield. They also have a slow 1:12 twist, so I found they don't like the heavier pills, they're better suited for 150 gr. I've decided to re-barrel one of them in 280 AI. The other I'll keep as a 30-06.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts