One powder to rule them all (30-06)?

I now shoot the 215 Berger. Will not be going back to anything lighter unless I go to a mono bullets. Either way my 06 loves the 215 Berger.

I do feel the 200.20X Berger would be a good option in the 30-06 to.

"Terminal Ballistics Research" is a site based in New Zealand run by a researcher and outfitter who will tell you about the heavier bullets, and why they are more effective at distance. The more mass the bullet has the more penetration it will deliver at distance. I'm a fan of the 180 to 200 grain bullets because in a 30-06 or .300 WinMag, it can be pushed fast enough to have a good trajectory and retain velocity, penetration and energy sufficient to get rapid kills on big game. I'm a fan of IMR4350 because it will work in both cartridges and produce respectable velocities with all the 180gr. and 200gr. projectiles that I have on hand. And I just ordered 700 Sierra Gameking 200 grain factory seconds for these rifles through Midway. I can't afford the Gameking 200grain bullets very much normally. But I'll work up loads with these and then maybe shift to the high priced spread after I get them right. I'll probably use IMR4350, and I'll post results afterward.

Roger that. Best all around powder going.

If there was no other powder available for the 30-06, and all the other cartridges that are based on that case, we'd do just fine with any of the 4350's. Slower-burning powders do work better with the smaller bore diameters, but the 4350's work well enough to do anything I want to do.

Yep, but its not very good for the 30-06 cartridge.

I once saw an article in either Handloader or Rifle magazine, and the author was Finn Aagard. His topic for the day was his four or five powders to do EVERYTHING. His point was that a handful of powders, all of which have broad application, has greatly simplified his program. I readily admit that this is the "jack of all trades; master of none" concept, but it does get the job done with a minimum of fuss. Hope this doesn't open a bug can o' worms ……..

[QUOTE="Don A Parsons, post: 1624353, member:

I tried Varget and IMR 4064 that I have for my 308's,,, but I find it to erotic [/QUOTE]

If that's the case, my wife and I will take 2 pounds of each.

Mr. Aagard is right. I use just four powders for most of my rifle reloading. IMR 4350, IMR 7828, IMR 4831, and RL15. I have several pounds of each. They work for most of my needs, but I have 2 or 3 pounds of various Reliant powders and Hodgden powders for when I can't find the ones I usually use. That way I can work up alternate loads for when IMR 4350 or IMR 4831 is not available.

IMR 4350 seems to be the consensus for best 30-06 powder, with either H or IMR 4831 as a close second and RL 19 and 22 as honorable mentions. I haven't tried Power pro 2000MR or 4000MR, though, and Speer lists them as good for the -06, too. 2000MR is also listed for the Whelen with 250 grain bullets as a near-2700fps powder,too.

Reloder 16 ended up buried and shouldn't be. Don't overlook it. 54.5-54.7 grains with Norma brass has been the sweet spot. Anything from 175 VLD/RDF to 178 ELDX/M to 180 partition/accubond/trophy bonded tip are netting 2750-2800fps and amazing accuracy (.5" - .3" stacked groups at 100yds all day). Temp stable and also great in 6.5 Creed on up to 338 Mag.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.