One of the first long range cartridges šŸ˜Š

I have 2 Sako L461 rifles, a standard Vixen in 222Rem and a Deluxe Vixen in 222Mag, they are my all time favourite rifles. Superbly accurate and just a lovely little action to hunt with. Mostly used for rabbits, foxes and goats, but may be used on a hog here and there when they present themselves.

Cheers.

I sold my .222 many years ago and of course when you are older, wiser, nostalgic you wonder "What the heck was I thinking!". Give anything to have it right now! Shoot all day for pennies and accurate, what more can you ask?

I know .223 dies same BUT it wasn't first out if the gate which makes the .222 something special for us "older mature" shooters. You know "prehistoric" guys!

While I love my .222's and have many decades experience with it (BR and Varmint), they were the second set of dies I bought out of my current 51 cartridges I load, but I would not consider it the "first long range cartridges". In the later 1800's, there were 1,000 yard matches held with several varied BP cartridges, then some people used the 30-40 Krag and of course the later 30-06. As for 22 caliber varmint shooting, there were several others that proceeded the venerable triple deuce.

I'm very thankful that CZ chambered the 527 in the triple deuce!

The cartridge, paired with full length stock of the CZ 527 FS, is one heck of a rifle.

Attachments

• 3DEF5513-82CF-4016-9DC9-E7994DC78C99.jpeg
    3DEF5513-82CF-4016-9DC9-E7994DC78C99.jpeg
    48.9 KB · Views: 68
I have 2 Sako L461 rifles, a standard Vixen in 222Rem and a Deluxe Vixen in 222Mag, they are my all time favourite rifles. Superbly accurate and just a lovely little action to hunt with. Mostly used for rabbits, foxes and goats, but may be used on a hog here and there when they present themselves.

Cheers.
Good 'ol triple duce. When I was young all I thought about was the big cannons. Lol. Had a friend that could shoot the eyes out of a snake with his .222. After many decades he still has it.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.