Long range HUNTING cartridges limitations

Berger tests their data using a PTII (Pressure Trace II) setup and QL, and every other method out there combined before publishing it. That's the only smart thing to do, and smart way to avoid lawsuits. Throwing out random data can get people hurt. The folks that build the data for those manuals don't just wing-it like us normal folks do. We look at primers, case heads, and ejector swipes and can get a fair guesstimate of whether we're overpressure or not, but unless you own a PTII, you're never going to TRULY know what your chamber pressures for your specific load and rifle are.

Berger tests their data using a PTII (Pressure Trace II) setup and QL, and every other method out there combined before publishing it. That's the only smart thing to do, and smart way to avoid lawsuits. Throwing out random data can get people hurt. The folks that build the data for those manuals don't just wing-it like us normal folks do. We look at primers, case heads, and ejector swipes and can get a fair guesstimate of whether we're overpressure or not, but unless you own a PTII, you're never going to TRULY know what your chamber pressures for your specific load and rifle are.
That is true, Berger has all the means to check, but it makes me feel good about my QL loads with RL26 as they obviously used QL data for the 135 Classic hunter. I wouldn't exactly call it winging it, more of an educated guess o_O and then we watch for any signs of pressure as well as comparing to book loads that are close.
It's kinda like the 308 215 Berger, Berger does have info using certain powder but by tweaking the load and using other powders some of you have added some extra velocity. Even with PTII you need to use a calibration load to be specific, other wise it still is not an accurate measure anymore than QL. They say you can do it without but I don't believe it is as accurate without.
That is why we throw things around to each other on forums like this, someone else may point out something that makes you go back and rethink. As they say the face of one man sharpens the face of another.
It's guys like you that have me interested in trying the 200+ bullets in my 30-06 with some of the RL26.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.