Long-Range Hunting

SBruce:

Awesome post. Thanks for the message. I'm interested in learning the right way, and I'm encouraged that folks like you are on the site, willing to offer your expertise.

Thanks!

You're welcome!:)

There are members on this site that have made further shots than I have even tried, but I've been around long range and accuracy/precision shooting for alot of years.

Good luck in your shooting.

Last edited:
Congrats on your initial foray into long range shooting.

Long range hunting is very doable.

My son and I got the bug about 2 yrs ago. And, after a lot of study (forums/DVDs/meeting people), range practice, field practice, load development, gadgets, etc... he got his first long range kill this year on a whitetail doe at 548yds. And, he is 14 years old. So, I think the answer is, "yes." Unequivicably, you can be effective at long range hunting if you have the desire and apply yourself.

My only regret is that I didn't commit sooner to the pursuit of it. Going in half-hearted, I wasted a lot of $$$ on such things as a low-end range finder and mediocre scope only to realize the need to upgrade later.

Good luck!
Richard

Richard,

Thanks for the email. I see you're in Allen. Where do you practice? I'm definitely committed to becoming better, and I know it's a long road. I'm willing to put in the time to get better. And congratulations to your son - that's awesome.

You said you use a 30-06 or a 270 to hunt with. With the right combination of bullets, powders and especially optics you can tune the rifle with little work to reach out to 800 yards or beyond. I'd start by reading a ton of post's on the do's and dont's and learn from other people's mistakes. This will save you a lot of time and $$
I taught myself how to long range shoot by going out and killing over 1000 groundhogs and shooting nearly ever day of the year. Then and only then did I link up with other like-minded guys and got their input and wisdom. Trust me, I took the hard road but then again I had a chance to learn from my own mistakes.

Keep reading the stuff on here and you'll soon be wanting to build your own rig:D

Hudge,

The simple answer to your question is; yes. There a quite a few guys out there that can and do make shots on game animals at ranges well beyond 500 yards.

A search of this site will turn up many many stories of such shots, and most of us are willing to tell the bad stories along with the good.

Personally I have shot well over a dozen animals, deer, antelope and elk at ranges from 500 to 1010. So far, I have never hit an animal I did not recover, and have only missed 1 elk at about 800 yards a few years ago. I'm not bragging here, just trying to get two things across. First, yes, it can be done. Second, those of us who are taking those kind of shots are serious about it. If we are not certain we can make the shot, we don't take it. This is not "poke and hope" guess work. Such a shot is the culmination of many $$ spent on equipment, many hours spent learning how, and many hours of trigger time.

As others have pointed out this is an expensive hobby, and the further you want to shoot the more expensive it gets. When you get a rifle capable of kills at 1000 yards, you have only just begun to spend money!!!

The other thing, is this is a hobby for those who are dedicated to spending the time to learn how. At hunting camps I often get asked about shooting long range and someone will often make some comment about "you must be a really good shot". My reply is that I am probably no better "shot" than they are. If we were to pick a 22 and start shooting cans off a fence post 6 out of 10 guys at camp would probably beat me. I can shoot critters at 1000 yards, not because I am a "good shot" but because I have the equipment and at least the minimum amount of "knowledge" to be able to do it.

Richard,
Thanks for the email. I see you're in Allen. Where do you practice? I'm definitely committed to becoming better, and I know it's a long road. I'm willing to put in the time to get better. And congratulations to your son - that's awesome.

Hudge,

We do most of our bench practice and load development at the 100yd range in Garland.

We do our long range field practice and hunting at our ranches 2 hrs south of Dallas and 2 hrs south of San Antonio.

There are a couple of ranges and clubs around here that are setup for longer distances for practice, training and/or competition including: N. Tx Shooters in Denton, Tac-pro west of FTW, Tiger Valley between Buffalo and Waco, something out near San Angelo, texaspistol.com just north of Allen, Forney gun club, and Darrel Holland (hollandguns.com) will be holding a very good class in April down near College Station.

I don't really know the others. But, Darrel's is an excellent instructor.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.