One Gun Hunters

I cannot answer to the OP in regard to Western game, but I have used one rifle for the last 15 years or so for everything in Arkansas. Winchester Model 70 (albeit customized quite a bit) in 270 WSM.

It has been such a hammer, that I don't feel I would be undergunned even if I do get to hunt larger game. I have killed and found every single creature I have shot with it. God-willing, would like to continue that streak. Killed two bucks with it last season.

@ButterBean
I truly and seriously mean no offense. I'm just trying to understand how the world turns. From some of your other posts, I had the idea that you were a hard core 7 mm shooting times western guy. Do you really use a 270 for everything?
Bud I lived and breathed the STW and it is still the top of the heap IMO in the 7 mils but I've always had a 270, always and I will never be without one. IMPO it is the most versatile "do all" if I had but one gun for me, Deep down I'm a quarter bore nut and have a love affair with the 25-06 but if it came down to it the 270 would be the last gun I owned, once again I'll never be without one. As far as using it for everything, yes I have

I have used both 130 Nosler Solid Base and 150 Fusion in my 270 WSM with devastating effect on whitetails, coyotes and hogs. In general, heavier is better for larger game, so some load heavier .270 bullets and the WSM has enough capacity to push them fast enough to have good terminal effect.

I wouldn't feel undergunned for Elk or Moose, but seriously, if I were hunting Brown Bear, I would use a rifle of a heavier cartridge. I have a 30-06 I could use with heavier bullets for Bear.

Still working on my .338 Win Mag...but see now we are talking about more than one rifle.

I have used both 130 Nosler Solid Base and 150 Fusion in my 270 WSM with devastating effect on whitetails, coyotes and hogs. In general, heavier is better for larger game, so some load heavier .270 bullets and the WSM has enough capacity to push them fast enough to have good terminal effect.

I wouldn't feel undergunned for Elk or Moose, but seriously, if I were hunting Brown Bear, I would use a rifle of a heavier cartridge. I have a 30-06 I could use with heavier bullets for Bear.

Still working on my .338 Win Mag...but see now we are talking about more than one rifle.

Jon, once you get that .338 WM where you want it......you may very well become a "one gun hunter"! 😉 memtb

I have one load for my 30-06, Barnes 168gr TTSX. Use it for everything. Gives me the range I'm looking for, the speed is good and the accuracy is excellent.

300 prc with 215 Bergers works wonderfully on deer and bighorn. That one set up is what I'd choose if I had to use one for everything.

Bud I lived and breathed the STW and it is still the top of the heap IMO in the 7 mils but I've always had a 270, always and I will never be without one. IMPO it is the most versatile "do all" if I had but one gun for me, Deep down I'm a quarter bore nut and have a love affair with the 25-06 but if it came down to it the 270 would be the last gun I owned, once again I'll never be without one. As far as using it for everything, yes I have
While my calibers of choice differ from ButterBean. I agree with his practice and philosophy. Appreciate my 300wm, and can't stop experimenting with a 243win. I lean on my 30-06 so much I just can't let go of it. Knowing your firearm, cartridge, to include bullet trajectory and performance; I believe creates a comfort/confidence level that can't be replaced or substituted. Use what you know and believe in.

Last edited: