One Gun Hunters

I own and use 4 different rifles set up as hunting rifles. 5 other centrefires for varmint, spotlight, target , Truck gun.

Each to their own, I could use one for nearly everything but I like guns.

I think at the moment I have a nice little functional collection. Some I kept by default some a must have because I could. None are high end expensive rifles all had to be saved for but I'm set up for a few different situations with matched for game and terrain in mind.

Now I just need to hunt more cause I'm keeping what I got.

Just curious if something has changed…
I thought you lived and breathed 116/117gr Hammers in your 270 Win?
No Sir nothing has changed, He never mentioned using Hammers and as there are millions of factory rounds everywhere from coast to coast on shelves, in closets and behind truck seats, that would be my one gun one load choice for that reason but yes the 117HH in 270 would be my personal preference

Last edited:
"..... saved yourself some invaluable time." Every resource is replenishable.........except heartbeats. Use those precious allocated heartbeats, represented as time, wisely. The older one becomes, the more one realizes.....too late.....how precious those heartbeats are. Is it really worth the heartbeats re-sighting, reloading multiple bullets, etc. One's personal choice. In my 70s, I view opportunities very differently. July was 50 years since I married my wife. Unfortunately, she ran out of heartbeats just shy of our 30th anniversary. Wish now that I had spent more heartbeats with her instead of chasing the American dream. We had planned to spend retirement traveling in a 45ft motorcoach enjoying adventures across our beautiful country. Well, I am.......unfortunately alone. Money flows in faster than I can spend it, but it won't buy her even one more heartbeat. Old too soon; smart too late.
I think you just wrote our epitath. Beautiful.

For those of you that hunt all your western game with one firearm. Do you use the same bullet for all big game you hunt or do you change the bullet grain depending on the animal your hunting (150 gr. for deer, 180-220 for elk)?
Yes! Where I hunt, antelope, deer, bear, and elk exist.
I have a few hunting rifles, but I'm contemplating selling and using the 300 Winchester for everything.
I have a few rifles, but the .300 Win Mag (I have 3 of them) remains my go-to chambering from antelope to elk size game up to 1KY. The .300 Win Mag is an excellent choice for a one-gun hunter esp. in LR. Good luck!

For those of you that hunt all your western game with one firearm. Do you use the same bullet for all big game you hunt or do you change the bullet grain depending on the animal your hunting (150 gr. for deer, 180-220 for elk)? I have a few hunting rifles, but I'm contemplating selling and using the 300 Winchester for everything.
I agree w/u..300caliber great.I have a weatherby.300 for years.only as grow older I think all around gun would be a .280 rem..lighter weight to carry.&good punch!

"..... saved yourself some invaluable time." Every resource is replenishable.........except heartbeats. Use those precious allocated heartbeats, represented as time, wisely. The older one becomes, the more one realizes.....too late.....how precious those heartbeats are. Is it really worth the heartbeats re-sighting, reloading multiple bullets, etc. One's personal choice. In my 70s, I view opportunities very differently. July was 50 years since I married my wife. Unfortunately, she ran out of heartbeats just shy of our 30th anniversary. Wish now that I had spent more heartbeats with her instead of chasing the American dream. We had planned to spend retirement traveling in a 45ft motorcoach enjoying adventures across our beautiful country. Well, I am.......unfortunately alone. Money flows in faster than I can spend it, but it won't buy her even one more heartbeat. Old too soon; smart too late.
You, Sir, are absolutely correct. I am heartily sorry about your wife; I am sure she lived a wonderful and happy life with you and would not have it any other way. I can definitely relate. For me, life is all about balance. My lovely wife of 39 years and I have traveled throughout (currently on a quick getaway with our sons) the US, EU, Asia, the Caribbean, and of course, our neighbors to the north. We both love to travel, and traveling in a motorcoach is also on our bucket list. Like you eloquently noted, we value time spent together. Thank you, Sir, for the reminder, be safe, and God bless.

Ed

Last edited:
270 with a 130 grain pill for everything
I love this answer probably more than I can put into words. Started hunting late in my life (26)....first rifle was a 270win and I shot 130gr Core-Lokt ammo. I'm a TX guy so whitetail and hogs are my typical pursuit, under 250yds.

15 years later and I have a few full customs, and a couple more in progress, and more semi-customs than will fit in my safe for different purposes each. But 95% of my hunting is within 200yds going for TX whitetail and my 270win (trued and rebarreled) still puts factory 130gr Core-Lokt ammo under .5moa at that range. It's probably the only "one" that makes sense to hold onto. But oh how I love playing with the others, too, haha.

2416358C-FD02-4E93-B1CA-DA9424F53616.jpeg

Last edited:
I use a 200 AB in my 300WM for EVERYTHING! Shoots great and deer don't seem to mind being hit by it.

I have switched over to a 196HH at 3150 fps and will see how it performs but expecting really good things with it. This would be my one gun if I didn't like other rifles.

The .270TH 🤣 will be running the 156HH so it will be ready for anything.

My .243 will be smoking with with 80HH and is still being tweaked with powder change with 6.5StaBall. I may try this out for some IN does.

I love this answer probably more than I can put into words. Started hunting late in my life (26)....first rifle was a 270win and I shot 130gr Core-Lokt ammo. I'm a TX guy so whitetail and hogs are my typical pursuit, under 250yds.

15 years later and I have a few full customs, and a couple more in progress, and more semi-customs than will fit in my safe for different purposes each. But 95% of my hunting is within 200yds going for TX whitetail and my 270win (trued and rebarreled) still puts factory 130gr Core-Lokt ammo under .5moa at that range. It's probably the only "one" that makes sense to hold onto. But oh how I love playing with the others, too, haha.
I'll never be without a 270

Let me start by stating I'm a minimalist by nature, which I'm learning is a rare quality in the firearms community.
With said, I'll always own one centerfire boltgun and a companion levergun. Between those two rifles, I'm completely content.
My levergun is a custom trapper Marlin chambered in 30-30AI I built myself. It's got peeps and is basically a fast handling six shot 300 Savage equivalent and gets me to 200 yards comfortably. It also makes a helluva saddle rifle. Weighs just a hair over 5lbs.
My current boltgun is a 270 Win. I seem to change this up every few years out of boredom and my lack of a desire to collect things. Somehow I always find myself coming back to the old 270. It will kill anything in the Central/North Cascades I hunt here in the PNW.

....first rifle was a 270win and I shot 130gr Core-Lokt ammo.
I, too, relied heavily on the 130 Corelokt ammo before I started reloading for it.
The Corelokts are very forgiving. I then transitioned to 150 Nosler AB and eventually the 175 Matrix with my .270 AI.

Attachments

• 175 Matrix vs 150 NAB.jpg
    175 Matrix vs 150 NAB.jpg
    25.5 KB · Views: 54