One Gun Hunters

I have 3 goto rifles, one .270win usually goes out all the time, one of the others is my backup. In 270win, Nosler 150gr partition, for every critter. 30-06 Nosler 165gr Sierra Game King for every critter, .243win 95gr VLD's for every critter. Once I get a rifle/load set up and zeroed in I leave it alone. No unnecessary twirling of dials unless I'm offered a real trophy at much further than I'm zeroed for. If I want to use a different bullet I grab a different rifle. If you do in fact go the one rifle route be sure to buy a VERY good quality scope. Bouncing around between points of aim requires that the scope have dependable repeatability and return to zero. A quality that to me trumps expert quality glass. I identify my target with good binoculars.

I have several rifles. The one thing I try to come up with a load that travels @ about 3200 to 3300 fps. It doesn't matter if it's a heavy bullet or a lighter bullet. It's the velocity sets the drop. Wind is another story. That really depend on caliber and bullet weight that being used. The bullet path is about the same as long as the velocity is about the same. That way you don't have reinvent the wheel each time you are using a different rifle. my small caliber varmint rifle is another story. There I am running at 3900fps in a 55gr bullet. Especially if it's a rushed shot. Tring to remember what the drop is. You can dial your scope in to shoot the longer distances. Or you can tell the animal to hold while you remember what that drop is look it up. Back in the days of old you didn't have all the tools to determine where to set your scope. The range finder has cut down of problems in determining a distance.

I have hunted with an A-Bolt 280 Remington for the last decade or so. Prior to that it was an old Remington 700 30-06.

I wouldn't hesitate to take either one out at any given time. The 280 is just lighter to pack around and has been more practiced with over the last 10 years since I got it. It has taken deer, elk, and sheep with no trouble. I won't give up either one and one day will go back to the '06 when my daughter is ready to hunt. The 280 is more friendly on the recoil.

It's hard to knock down any proven caliber and rifle, and would be hard to get rid of any of them for me.

There are a few others in the safe that have been inherited and shot on occasion, but I certainly have gained a high level of trust and confidence with the couple I mentioned.

Yeah, this "one rifle hunter" thing is cool, especially if you can match that one rifle with one exceptionally accurate, terminally effective hunting bullet (that seems to be the real challenge).

But I have more rifles now than ever before and have fun switching between my two 270 WSM, my new Sauer 30-06, and my two 6.5 Creedmoors.

After being that "one rifle hunter" for decades with 30-06 and then decades again with 270 WSM; I'm having the time of my life now with all sorts of experiments in variety (not all long range of course, but lots of different uses).

My son has been killing deer short range with .357 Magnum carbine length rifle, 30-06 and longer range with 270 WSM.

But Arkansas deer and hogs are not hard to kill. I'm often amazed at how overgunned everybody thinks they have to be now in order to get instant kills on game, even small game. I get a kick out of guys who think they need hypersonic ammo to kill tree squirrels. I never use anything but subsonics now and kill hundreds every year.

Just think of all the years I wasted hunting with only one rifle!

20201228_113256.jpg

I switch calibers for different hunts and or potential terrain. Each gun has 1 load that is capable of taking all the animals from elk on down, but terrain and how I feel change things.

If I think ranges will be shorter say under 350 yards i typically default to my 6.5x55 shooting Berger 135gr Classic Hunters. If i think ranges might get longer i pull out the 300 weatherby shooting 168gr Barnes TTSX so i have a little more horsepower.

The 6.5x55 has killed everything i need clean and quick, but the ranges are under 300. I have it sited out to 500 yards and I know it is accurate still, but the bullet starts out at about 2725FPS so past 300 I like a little more HP. The 300 weatherby spits the 168gr TTSX at over 3200 FPS so it Carrie's out further.

I am not a "long range" hunter yet. I hope to change that at some point soon.

Yeah, this "one rifle hunter" thing is cool, especially if you can match that one rifle with one exceptionally accurate, terminally effective hunting bullet (that seems to be the real challenge).

But I have more rifles now than ever before and have fun switching between my two 270 WSM, my new Sauer 30-06, and my two 6.5 Creedmoors.

After being that "one rifle hunter" for decades with 30-06 and then decades again with 270 WSM; I'm having the time of my life now with all sorts of experiments in variety (not all long range of course, but lots of different uses).

My son has been killing deer short range with .357 Magnum carbine length rifle, 30-06 and longer range with 270 WSM.

But Arkansas deer and hogs are not hard to kill. I'm often amazed at how overgunned everybody thinks they have to be now in order to get instant kills on game, even small game. I get a kick out of guys who think they need hypersonic ammo to kill tree squirrels. I never use anything but subsonics now and kill hundreds every year.

I've found 170 to 180 grain 30 caliber cast bullets @ around 1200 fps to be quite effective on Louisiana "Cattail" Squirrels! 😉 memtb

Yep.....head shots! Except for the few that were taken when "barking" them. Quite effective, but the bark fragments were hard on the front quarters! 😉 memtb
Man, the squirrels here in the northwest disappear when shot with anything more than a pellet gun. How big do y'all's squirrels get where you're at?
I do load my 30-30AI case full of Trail Boss and push a 170gr hardcast at 1100 for rabbit hunting in the fall and through the winter. Love that load. Quiet, deadly and just pokes straight through.

Man, the squirrels here in the northwest disappear when shot with anything more than a pellet gun. How big do y'all's squirrels get where you're at?

Here...not big. Where I grew up, the Fox Squirrels where pretty big. "Cat" (grey squirrels) not big, hence the need for head shots no matter the cartridge....even the 22 RF!

Using cast bullets in your big game rifle afforded you practice on varmints, snakes, ect. during the summer months, then in fall.....squirrel hunting. When deer season came around, you were pretty confident with your big game rifle!

So......I guess that I've pretty much been a "one gun" hunter most of my life! memtb