switch barrel gun does anybody use one ?

kidcoltoutlaw

i have one but have never changed the barrels.i do have everything i need to do it.i just need the know how now.how tuff is it to do. its on a rem 700 in 338 rum done by R.W.HART ,thanks,keith

It is very easy if you have the wrenches. All my rifles are swith-barrelled and it is less than a 5 minute task.

Lightvarmint

I have several switch barrel guns and it is a piece of cake to change barrels. Clamp the barrel in a barrel vice and put the action wrench in the action and take apart like a nut and bolt its that easy.
Crow Mag

Keith,
When you say switch barrel do you mean it was designed to swap barrels out or do you mean that you want to switch out a barrel?

If it's a true swap-a-barrel gun just follow the MFG's instructions.

If not I would find a good smith in your area that,
a.) knows how to true up an action
b.) has done more than 1 or 2 rebarrels

While it can be done the first time you try it with success. The odds of it being perfect are slim, no slam on your abilities but what you are talking about doing is pretty close to building a motor from a short block with out ever seeing one done before. It get's exceptionaly fun if your changing calibers which require a bolt modification.

See one, do one, teach one.
cool.gif

OBTW the reason I say get a smith that can true up the rifle is for the simple reason that since the barrels is off you might as well go the distance and get everything lined up perfectly as opposed to hoping the factory did it right.

Proceede carefuly in the dark.

Cheers
cool.gif

[ 08-02-2004: Message edited by: doc76251 ]

www.rwhart.com did the work no it's the real thing.it shoots so good i think it's up to the shooter how good it can do.i love it they did it in no time flat after the barrels came in.do you have to re zero after you take the barrel off and put it back on.i got all the tools i need to do it from HART as well.i just need the nerve to try it ha ha.will the threads stand up to a lot of barrel changing.i would think so because all benchrest gun are switch barrel guns thanks,keith

One of my rifles is a RW Hart rifle it has to be 20 years old and shoots exellent I shot a 5 shot groop with it last year in VA that was 3.666" and 2 others in the 4" in 1000 Yard BR. It is on a Hart A1 action and started life as a short range BR gun when I got it had a 6ppc barrel on it now I have 3 barrels and more on the way. I use the copper anti size on the threads and keep them clean. When I want a new barrel I just call my smith and he orders the barrel chambers it and I pick it up no more bringing the gun in he has all the measurements for the action in his files.

Try Montour County Rifles, he advertises here.

Most good gunsmiths will keep your chamber dimensions on file, so that they can easily chamber another barrel to match the first. But be sure to torque the barrel about 50 ft. lbs., (get the appropriate action wrench) then check it with go/no go guages. The headspace must be on to the last .0015".

I have several---my favorite is my 6.5x284 or when switched a 338 Lapua Improved. The way my Smith fits them they are easy to do in the field. We try to do the tubes when we build the rifle.

After you get used to the equipment it takes less than 5 minutes to change. I have springs under my barrel vise to hold up the top clamp!! Makes it easier when you only have 2 hands.

Thanks for the info.. I have a Brownell's vise which fits a winchester and a weatherby markV, according to them. It seems a little loose?

What kind of vice do you have?

The 'smith you recommend is booked up full???

Last edited:
I have several rifles with more than one barrel. I use a pretty basic vice and wrench to twist them apart. I do have one tip to offer to help prevent marring the finish on a barrel. It works especially well in removing tight factory barrels. Heavy copper ground wire found in places like Home Depot can be wrapped around the barrel in two places. I use an old barrel as a mandrel. The picture shows how they look. They will flatten and grip the barrel with little slippage. If they do slip the copper that gets rubbed off can be easily removed with a copper solvent.

copperbarrelrings004.jpg

I know this is an old thread but is that hard on the barrel threads to take the barrel off and put it back on over and over? Will that shorten headspace over time?

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts