Old Bullets OK

You can put them in a tumbler and shine them up. Im notorious for shooting gararge sale bullets. I found a real good use for them old ones too if you don't trust their performance. I use them in my .300 blk for plinking rounds.

I don't know for sure what era they're from but I had a box of 130 grain solid base soft points for my 270. Like a b-tip but a lead soft point, not tip. Based on the price tag still on the box they were quite old. Shot as well as anything else in that 270.

I've got some old Sierra 30 cal 200 grain match from the old Cali. factory that will be shot one of these days... They were bought from a member here a few years back. They good and have produced a couple decent groups so far. I just don't really need them yet. I've also shot 30-40 year old jacketed pistol bullets and ww2 surplus fmj with decent success... The only issue could be if the bullet is so old they changed the bore diameter on you (like the 8mm mauser- we have a few old .318 rounds (also loaded with cordite) around somewhere). Measure up if there's a question and shoot away.

I still have some old 338 250gr Partitions with the same machined groove/cannelure.

Must be early 80's era, yours look like 60's era.

Cheers.
I got a few 270 grain Nosler Partitions with the machined cannelure on a auction purchase and loaded them up for my .375 H&H Browning A Bolt. They shot sub MOA at 100 yards. Satisfies me!!

I wish I had a bunch of the Nosler 257 100gr solid bases. Those were a great killing bullet from my 257wby. Anyone have a bunch let me know.
Shep

I got some old bullets in a trade; including some 270 130,150 and 160 gr Nosler Partitions. I have used Partition bullets for years for years but wonder if they (or any bullets degrade over years).I have never seen a Nosler Partition box that looks like these.
What say you guys?
So what is a box of very expensive bullets cost -- $80 to $120 right? How much does your hunt cost? What is the cost of a lost animal or a trophy? If you only shoot one or two shells and one fails the cost becomes very very expensive indeed. My advice is to go plinking with them and save the hunt for ammo you know is good.

I happily buy older and tarnished bullets, especially when I can get them for a song. I wet tumble them in a Harbor Freight rock tumbler with some stainless media and they shine. The HF rock tumbler is far more gentle than a vibratory tumbler or a big rotary tumbler like the FART and doesn't deform exposed lead tips.

I got some old brown tipped 150g .284 caliber bullets in a purchase once.....they shot very accurate in the 280ai....didnt try them in the 7rum or 7rm......still have a few loaded but only enough to plonk with not enough for hunting purposes.....
Bronze points?

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts