Is this case ok?

• Thread starter Deleted member 107666
  • Start date
I just tumbled them again..
Marks gone...its gotta be a rubbing issue in the bottom of the die and that's just where the case is the fattest....more lube there, must have been skipping that area.
The mouth of your die may have a slight ridge on it, Redding dies in the past were notorious for this. Not saying to remove if there, may help in your case. I used to have my smith chuck mine up and peel some off that area, always worked here.

I've had this happen a lot over the yrs. Nothing wrong with your brass. Keep checking inside for case head separation. But I suspect you won't find any. I took my die on the lathe and polished that spot a little more. Well a lot more actually. But simple 2000 grit will make it smooth too. I think belted mags get this often.
Shep

If you guys figure it please let me know. I have about 100+ .338/378 brass casings that I have sidelined that have similar markings after two sizings.
Those are expensive cases. If your are worried about their shape take one and section it. This will tell you if there is a problem on the inside. Waste one and save the rest.

i had a Redding body die do that too .. i got it when bullets.com went outta bussiness .. what i found was that it was dropped and small ding on die opening prior to hardening .. redding didnt believe me, they made it sound like nothing ever gets dropped in that part of the process.. they said it happened after it was hardened .. i disagree

300wm i believe

ill see if i can dig up some pics ..

It looks fine to me, pretty much like my .338 WM cases after sizing. If you're worried about case head seperation, take a fine wire, around .030 in dia (I used safety wire as I have a lot of it around) and long enough to stick out about 1.5" bend a 1/4" 90 degree bend in it and you will be able to slide the bend down the inside of the case. If there's enough head seperation to worry about you will be able to feel it. Even so, it really isn't all that much of a worry anyway, I've had cases completely seperate to the point only the case head ejected! I couldn't tell until I saw just the head... and you won't be able to chamber another round until the remainder of the case is removed, which all have come out easily. It might be dumb luck but it's happened in 4 different calibers (.338WM, .308, .243 & .44 mag), maybe half a dozen times and I never once had any kind of trouble from it.
Cheers,
crkckr

I just tumbled them again..
Marks gone...its gotta be a rubbing issue in the bottom of the die and that's just where the case is the fattest....more lube there, must have been skipping that area.
Are you using a single stage press? How old is it? Does the shell holder fit snugly in the top of the ram with no movement? Have you checked or are you able to check concentricity before and after resizing? I had wear on the ram of an RCBS rock chucker. I ended up with cases that were no longer concentric. Sent it back to RCBS and they fixed it right up, good as new. One symptom you haven't mentioned that I had was that the loaded cases became a little more difficult to chamber.

Are you using a single stage press? How old is it? Does the shell holder fit snugly in the top of the ram with no movement? Have you checked or are you able to check concentricity before and after resizing? I had wear on the ram of an RCBS rock chucker. I ended up with cases that were no longer concentric. Sent it back to RCBS and they fixed it right up, good as new. One symptom you haven't mentioned that I had was that the loaded cases became a little more difficult to chamber.

It's a newer forster co-ax...I dont think it's the press. Using forster lock rings on the redding comp dies. Cases load fine, even some fired 3 times with no resizing.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.