Does this case look ok?

tailbon3

I've been reading these forums for a couple years or so and I love it! I have a 300 WSM I handload and am looking for a double check from you more experienced loaders. Does this case look ok? I don't know if the powder residue is a concern or not.

Attachments

• 300 wsm.png
    300 wsm.png
    122.2 KB · Views: 112
The bulge ahead of the web at the base is pretty pronounced and the soot around the neck indicates that gasses are escaping momentarily. I'm guessing that you may be setting your shoulders back a little to far causing your cases to stretch at the web and allowing the gasses to soot up the neck until the shoulder moves forward enough to seal things up. Do you have the tools to measure base to shoulder on a fired case vs one you've sized?

The powder doesn't look excessive to me and it doesn't seem to be getting to or past the shoulder.

I beleive you can also get powder residue from light loads.

I'm more curious about the apparent bulge.

How many times has this case been fired?

Are they consistently like that once, twice fired and more? Or, does it get worse?

Are you FL or neck sizing?

How do the primers look?

-- richard

This is a first fired winchester case. I full-length sized it, trimmed it to size, chamfered, hand primed, then charged the case and seated the bullet.

Here's the load data:
Hornady 180 gr interlock SST
59.8 gr H414
CCI 250 LRM primers

I wonder if I'm squishing the primers in to hard. I give'em a firm squeeze but don't really know how much is too much. the new brass doesn't have the bulge in it. The bolt lift after firing isn't sticky.

Attachments

• IMG_1174.JPG
    IMG_1174.JPG
    53.6 KB · Views: 109
  • IMG_1178.JPG
    IMG_1178.JPG
    20.9 KB · Views: 104
  • IMG_1177.JPG
    IMG_1177.JPG
    15.9 KB · Views: 106
My 7mmRM soots the neck like that every time, but like yours, it doesn't soot to the shoulder, so I think you are ok there. At least from that standpoint.

I think the primers are seated correctly. You should just be able to run your finger across and they should be at or a hair below the case head surface. But, not above it.

The fired case and load data sounds like a very light load and may be the cause of the soot. But, you should get another opinion. I don't have any data for that bullet/cartridge/powder.

I think the percieved bulge is ok. It's not so pronounced in the new pictures either. I'd say that there may be a tiny bit of extra tolerance stacking up between your full length sizer (tight) and your actual chamber (loose).

If you start to see a bright ring forming on multiple firings, you may be working the brass too much. A neck sizer or collet die may help if that's the situation.

Otherwise, I don't see any indications that you're in danger.

Good luck,
richard

I don't see any visual signs of pressure, the spent primer looks good. Update us with another picture after the 2nd firing. It does seem like you're getting a little gas escaping but I don't think it's a big deal either. Pay attention when you go to seat your primers and see if it has a "tight" feel to it.

I also agree that too much pressure is not the problem. The fired primer looks just fine. I would further suggest that you check that you do not bump the shoulder too far back. Did you find this bulge on more than one case?

I'd say check the headspace. If that's the first firing, it looks like the case is having to do a lot of expanding to fill the chamber.

This is a first fired winchester case. I full-length sized it, trimmed it to size, chamfered, hand primed, then charged the case and seated the bullet.

Here's the load data:
Hornady 180 gr interlock SST
59.8 gr H414
CCI 250 LRM primers

I wonder if I'm squishing the primers in to hard. I give'em a firm squeeze but don't really know how much is too much. the new brass doesn't have the bulge in it. The bolt lift after firing isn't sticky.

That head stamp sure looks like the brass flowed. How does the stamp on this one look compared to an unfired case?

Did you chronograph the load to see if it matches up with the published velocity in the reloading manual?

Last edited:
Scap, I was thinking the same thing. I have seen a few cases where the stamping looks like that right out of the box but anything but a clean edge has been the exception rather than the rule in my experience.

My Remington 700 SPS Stainless in .300 WSM does the same thing with both factory and handloads. I only FL rezise every 4 loadings and even with that bulge, they chamber and shoot just fine. Maybe it's just a .300 WSM quirk?

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.