How does the annealing job on this brass look?

Discussion in 'Reloading' started by Korhil78, Jan 26, 2014.

1. Korhil78

Korhil78 Well-Known Member

Just wanted to know if you thought this looked good or over done on the annealing. Thanks

image.jpg

2. JARHEAD1371

JARHEAD1371 Well-Known Member

Looks great to me. What process did you use? I take a deep socket with a bolt and chuck it in a drill. I have a standing bottle torch and slowly rotate the brass necks in the flame for several seconds. Then they get a water bath to cool.

3. Korhil78

I have a benchsource annealer which makes it really easy to do. I did 101 cases and with setup and all, it probably took me less than 15 mins. I have always done lapua brass in it and this is Remington brass. It almost looked like I overlooked them. Some of them have a very light copperish color at the neck. I let them drop into a bucket of water to cool.

4. tbrice23

tbrice23 Well-Known Member

How much was the bench source? Do you have to buy directly from benchsource?

5. Broz

Broz Well-Known Member

Looks good to me. I use a Bench Source as well. Very consistent results and that is what I am after.
    Was your dwell time around 6.5 to 7?
    Jeff

Last edited: Jan 26, 2014
  6. Korhil78

Haha...man. Were you there when I dialed in the time? It was 6.5.

7. Broz

Broz Well-Known Member

That's a good number. I would rather not over do it. Looks like you have her dialed in and enjoying it. Fire is always fun to work with.:D

Jeff

8. AKGuide

AKGuide Well-Known Member

My nosler brass looks the same after I anneal. The blue line is my indicator as I go by feel with a drill and a torch.

Reuben

9. longrangehunterII

longrangehunterII Well-Known Member

Wow dude those look great! I have a Bench Source as well, your Remington brass looks like Lapua made brass. Great product btw.

10. Reloader222

Reloader222 Well-Known Member

In my opinion this is a perfect anneal on all cases. Important to only anneal the neck area and not to heat up the lower part of the case too much. Colour tell that it is properly done.

11. greggc1960

greggc1960 Well-Known Member

Question- doesn't dropping them in water defeat the process? To harden something, you heat it, then quench it. To soften somrthing, aren't you supposed to let it cool slowly? Not criticizing, just trying to wrap my head around that cooling thing. Cases look great, tho.
    Gregg

12. etisll40

etisll40 Well-Known Member

wtt

13. AKGuide

AKGuide Well-Known Member

With brass as soon as you get it to the correct temperature it is annealed. So quenching just cools the case so annealing doesn't continue down toward the web.The Art and Science of Annealing this is a good read about annealing.

Reuben

14. greggc1960

greggc1960 Well-Known Member

Thanks. Now I know!
    Gregg