How does the annealing job on this brass look?

Korhil78

Just wanted to know if you thought this looked good or over done on the annealing. Thanks

image.jpg

Looks great to me. What process did you use? I take a deep socket with a bolt and chuck it in a drill. I have a standing bottle torch and slowly rotate the brass necks in the flame for several seconds. Then they get a water bath to cool.

I have a benchsource annealer which makes it really easy to do. I did 101 cases and with setup and all, it probably took me less than 15 mins. I have always done lapua brass in it and this is Remington brass. It almost looked like I overlooked them. Some of them have a very light copperish color at the neck. I let them drop into a bucket of water to cool.

Looks good to me. I use a Bench Source as well. Very consistent results and that is what I am after.
Was your dwell time around 6.5 to 7?
Jeff

Last edited:
My nosler brass looks the same after I anneal. The blue line is my indicator as I go by feel with a drill and a torch.

Reuben

In my opinion this is a perfect anneal on all cases. Important to only anneal the neck area and not to heat up the lower part of the case too much. Colour tell that it is properly done.

Question- doesn't dropping them in water defeat the process? To harden something, you heat it, then quench it. To soften somrthing, aren't you supposed to let it cool slowly? Not criticizing, just trying to wrap my head around that cooling thing. Cases look great, tho.
Gregg

Question- doesn't dropping them in water defeat the process? To harden something, you heat it, then quench it. To soften somrthing, aren't you supposed to let it cool slowly? Not criticizing, just trying to wrap my head around that cooling thing. Cases look great, tho.
Gregg
With brass as soon as you get it to the correct temperature it is annealed. So quenching just cools the case so annealing doesn't continue down toward the web.The Art and Science of Annealing this is a good read about annealing.

Reuben

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.