Old Bullets OK

Don Ford

I got some old bullets in a trade; including some 270 130,150 and 160 gr Nosler Partitions. I have used Partition bullets for years for years but wonder if they (or any bullets degrade over years).I have never seen a Nosler Partition box that looks like these.
What say you guys?

Attachments

• oldpart.jpg
    oldpart.jpg
    82.4 KB · Views: 427
Should you find a great load and someday run out don't expect any newer Nosler bullet to be the same. There have been many changes to Nosler bullets over the years. I found out the hard way...had to reestablish a load.

Sierra bullets never change. If the product number is the same so is the bullet. If bullet gets changed then product number also changes.

They will work as they did when made, but if I were to use them, I would polish them first. These old boxes could be from the 60's or 70's, as I recall that box and bullet design still around in the 70's. There may be a few collectors who could have some interest in these, but if desiring, they will still work. The old designs were not as accurate as the later ones.

Thanks to all. They are in tumbler now.

DF

Sometimes, the lead tips do not fair well in a tumbler, so often, I polish them by hand with a solution or a few twists with 0000 steel wool, but you may have good results. Bullets tend to settle to the bottom of vibrating polishers, and when used, I have had better results from rotating polishers. Post a photo when completed.

I got some old brown tipped 150g .284 caliber bullets in a purchase once.....they shot very accurate in the 280ai....didnt try them in the 7rum or 7rm......still have a few loaded but only enough to plonk with not enough for hunting purposes.....

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.