Old Bullets OK

I'd have send them to me so I could dispose of them for you but I reside in California. :(:(

Last longer than you and your kids....just tumble in steel or other media and will look like new

Sometimes, the lead tips do not fair well in a tumbler, so often, I polish them by hand with a solution or a few twists with 0000 steel wool, but you may have good results. Bullets tend to settle to the bottom of vibrating polishers, and when used, I have had better results from rotating polishers. Post a photo when completed.

Try Krazy Kloth. Amazon has it, and Todd Kindler at the Woodchuck Den sells it. Works great for stuff like this, and doesn't beat up the soft lead tips.

I got some old bullets in a trade; including some 270 130,150 and 160 gr Nosler Partitions. I have used Partition bullets for years for years but wonder if they (or any bullets degrade over years).I have never seen a Nosler Partition box that looks like these.
What say you guys?
I used some old partitions for moose in canada and they did a great job !

I got some old bullets in a trade; including some 270 130,150 and 160 gr Nosler Partitions. I have used Partition bullets for years for years but wonder if they (or any bullets degrade over years).I have never seen a Nosler Partition box that looks like these.
What say you guys?
I would imagine that the tolerances won't be as tight as the ones you'd buy these days.
If you really want to use them you might try tumbling them in corncob media then wipe them all afterwords. IMO...... I would keep them as a souvenir. That old nostalgia ammo & boxes is cool stuff.

One of the guy's at our gun club brought a box of 30/40 Krag loaded ammo
to the club one night. He asked if anyone had a 30/40, whatever that is.
One of the guys brought in a 30/40 and we shot the box up. They all went off.
They were real old. Back after the Spanish American war.
Zeke

Should you find a great load and someday run out don't expect any newer Nosler bullet to be the same. There have been many changes to Nosler bullets over the years. I found out the hard way...had to reestablish a load.

Sierra bullets never change. If the product number is the same so is the bullet. If bullet gets changed then product number also changes.
Ditto to that

I got a 270 I bought in 1990 it shot sub moa with ballistic tips I got it out
Last year loaded up the bullets that I bought back then went out and shot them still shoots like it did then

I've see a couple guys state Sierra never change. Well that might not be a good thing?
With Doppler and other advancements never changing could mean held back?
I like SMK's in a couple of my rifles..But if I thought something else would work better
I would switch!

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.