Old Bullets OK

I have partial boxes of the old Nosler Partitions like yours, that was when they were made on an automatic screw machine, shot a lot of game with them, still work today, great bullets.

Ten years ago I bought a bunch of 160-grain Bitterroots that had been stored in heat for a long time. The foam they were packed in had become "bonded" to those bullets. I tried acetone but no go. Ended up throwing them in the tumbler with worn out walnut shells and let them go overnight. Boy, did they look good in the morning! Miked within half a thou of where they were before tumbling. Shot great. Wish I had more.

Wow !!! I haven't even heard that bullet mentioned in over a decade, but it used to be the bees' knees. I knew some guys back in Montana who wouldn't shoot an elk with anything else. Have you shot some animals with that design ? If so, how do you like the terminal performance ?

With the Lathe turned grove on the bullets, They date back to the 1980's to early 90's. In 1994 the 338 225 gr. I bought, For my first moose hunt, Had no lathe grove. Those bullets are near antique status.

I think that's a relief groove, and the depth of it probably takes the diameter of the bullet down to the same number as the diameter of the rifle's bore. It's there because the solid partition is harder than the rest of the shank of the bullet, which is mostly lead. It's there to keep pressure from spiking when the partition goes through the rifling, and it doesn't squeeze down as readily as the rest of the lead-filled bullet shank. This is the same concept everybody is now using on monolithic bullets, where the entire shank is made of the harder metal. This concept is nothing new, and Nosler wasn't the first guy who did it.

I got some old bullets in a trade; including some 270 130,150 and 160 gr Nosler Partitions. I have used Partition bullets for years for years but wonder if they (or any bullets degrade over years).I have never seen a Nosler Partition box that looks like these.
What say you guys?
I would say they are OK with an assumption that all jacketed bullets use pure lead for the core material. That being said back in the late 70's Early 80's I was thinking about casting my own bullets out of lead and one cannot use pure lead once the velocity reaches a certain point due to the softness and possibility of the lead melting and stripping off the bullet and leaving blobs of lead in the barrel which would be devastating for the next shot. The solution is to make an alloy made of lead and antimony. The article I read, please correct this if the article was wrong, said that over a period of time the antimony would start migrating within the bullet and start separating from the lead and create balls of crystallized antimony within the lead. The bullet would no longer be considered a uniformly homogenized alloy. I am not sure if homogenized is the correct word, however the lead would be soft and the globs of antimony would be like abrasive pieces in the soft lead. Now when we think about a jacketed bullet the jacket would protect the bore, but under those circumstances the core material would not be in the state it was designed to be. The Big Question is, Do All Jacketed bullets use pure lead Or do they use a lead alloy. Even if they use a lead allow the next question would be is the alloying metal antimony. This is an article I read many years ago and the general information is correct, but I hope I did not make a miss-statement on the alloying metal used. At that time I chose not to cast my own lead alloyed bullets due to the infrequency I was shooting.

Wow !!! I haven't even heard that bullet mentioned in over a decade, but it used to be the bees' knees. I knew some guys back in Montana who wouldn't shoot an elk with anything else. Have you shot some animals with that design ? If so, how do you like the terminal performance ?
They were .270s'. I did not have one at the time. It's my "go to" rifle now. Wish I hadn't sold them for 3X the price I paid for them. BC was not so good. They were really a semi-spitzer, like the 200-grain, screw-machine Partitions I have squirreled away for the old '06. Maybe Bill Steigers thought there could be a stabilization problem if he made them more pointy. From what I've read and heard, performance on game was about as good as it gets. Mushrooms the size of a dime with great weight retention. If HAWK sold bonded bullets they would be about the same thing.

I got some old bullets in a trade; including some 270 130,150 and 160 gr Nosler Partitions. I have used Partition bullets for years for years but wonder if they (or any bullets degrade over years).I have never seen a Nosler Partition box that looks like these.
What say you guys?

Sell the empty boxes on Ebay there's a lot of collectors out there

Have got some 06 rounds that were made in 1918 and19 in stripper clips haven't tried any of them so don't know if they will fire.

All of this leads to an interesting question (not to derail to the OP), what is the first component to "go bad"? Primers, powder, bullets, brass? Once loaded, how long will ammunition last and maintain "new integrity"?

if you can find them, use them. They are flat out my favorite hunting bullet. I use Partitions to work up loads and then check a couple rounds with BBCs at 300. They expand wide, don't lose any weight really and just hammer elk.

I've got a pile of them for 30, 7mm, 270, 338 and they are excellent hunting bullets. The 160 and 175's are really super in a fast 7mm.

beretzs, Of topic a bit.....but seeing expanded bullets may bring this question close to topic. Have you taken any game with your .375 yet? Bullet selection, performance, ect. memtb

beretzs, Of topic a bit.....but seeing expanded bullets may bring this question close to topic. Have you taken any game with your .375 yet? Bullet selection, performance, ect. memtb

I don't know if Scotty has hunted with his 375 yet. I've shot three black bear with mine, a 375 H&H Ruger Number One. Handload is the 260 grain Nosler Accubond with 69 grains of RL-15, for about 2650 fps. Accuracy has been excellent. Bullet performance very good.

Farthest was a one-shot kill on a bear at 306 yards. Pass through, dead bear. He did drag himself less than twenty feet.

Closest was a black bear wounded by another hunter. I followed it into the brush, found it and shot it at about 15' to kill it. Recovered that bullet while skinning the bear, it was hanging in the off-side skin:
4Ms9Mh5h.jpg

Recovered weight was 218 grains and the expanded diameter was .73" - I remain impressed by the 260 gr Nosler Accubond.

A 375 certainly isn't needed for bear hunting, but I thought the bear hunts were a good excuse to use it. :) My son hunts them with his 30-06, and I've also used my 30-06, which seemed to do a very good job as well.

Regards, Guy

I don't know if Scotty has hunted with his 375 yet. I've shot three black bear with mine, a 375 H&H Ruger Number One. Handload is the 260 grain Nosler Accubond with 69 grains of RL-15, for about 2650 fps. Accuracy has been excellent. Bullet performance very good.

Farthest was a one-shot kill on a bear at 306 yards. Pass through, dead bear. He did drag himself less than twenty feet.

Closest was a black bear wounded by another hunter. I followed it into the brush, found it and shot it at about 15' to kill it. Recovered that bullet while skinning the bear, it was hanging in the off-side skin:
4Ms9Mh5h.jpg

Recovered weight was 218 grains and the expanded diameter was .73" - I remain impressed by the 260 gr Nosler Accubond.

A 375 certainly isn't needed for bear hunting, but I thought the bear hunts were a good excuse to use it. :) My son hunts them with his 30-06, and I've also used my 30-06, which seemed to do a very good job as well.

Regards, Guy

I think he did a hunt with it, last fall in the Bighorns....but, I can't recall if he "drew blood"! "Inquiring minds"! memtb

I think he did a hunt with it, last fall in the Bighorns....but, I can't recall if he "drew blood"! "Inquiring minds"! memtb

I did carry it in the Big Horns but didn't use it to draw blood there. I ended up shooting a little buck at home with it though. 375 seemed to be enough...

I used the 250 TTSX at 2900. Love the rifle. Just got the Whidden dies for it so I can actually use it a little more now.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.