Oklahoma exotic big game hunt

Nice story and pics Kirby. Thanks for sharing.

Chiggers, 'eh! There's a bug I haven't heard of for about 15 years since I was last in South America.:rolleyes: Lucky you, not.:eek:

Thanks again.

Kirby, Great animals and writeup. I sure enjoyed reading it. Tell Roy congrats from me as well. Now, who says that particular 300 AX isn't a brush gun?! I'm sure you have NOOOOOO problem with the follow thru on a moving target!

Thanks for sharing your hunt with us:)......also thanks for not sharing the chiggers:)

Thanks for the write up Kirby. It was a pretty fun hunt for sure and it was great to finally meet you and your dad and put a face and handshake to all the emails and phone calls. I wish i would have been there for your sheep and axis buck but i got tied up working cattle those days, cause of those **** cattle it looks like i missed out on the elusive Kirby smile :D

I will let BJ handle the write up of his catalina goat but i will let you know ahead of time both mine and his experinces got a little funky!!!!

Basically from the time i got up on fri morning to head down for the hunt it was one big cluster of mistakes on my part. First i had forgot to put my ammo sock on my 270AM so when we headed into the woods i realized i would have to carry my ammo in my pocket. I only had about 10rnds for the 270 so i loaded them up in various pockets and headed out. well somewhere between then and when i we sat up on the hill top later in the afternoon i managed to lose every round i had!!! :eek:

I wasnt to worried though as Kirby had brought down BJ's new 338AX sighted in and with ammo loaded and velocties. me and BJ talked and decided i would just use his rifle tonite. He had put a Swaro 3-15 scope on it with there new Ballistic reticle which offered good hold points. Well after watching the black buck for a good while i decided to take him. I sat up behind BJ's gun and lined up on the little african import. BJ fed me a range of i believe 540yds and i looked up the hold on the scope. I took my hold and compensated for a moderate left to right wind and touched off the light trigger and the bullet landed jsut over the bucks shoulder. Now this is the start of my mistake, I dial for all my shooting and i am simply not used to using a hold over method. now this isnt the reason why i missed this shot, honestly he is just a really small animal and i missed. well the buck takes off for the timber line at break neck speed and Shawn tells me he might never stop running. well we watch the buck and once he hits a creek bottom he starts walking it and after about a half hour he is heading back in our direction. i realize the creek bottom is going to take him about 350yds from our position so i set up where i know he is gonna walk. I get myself ready and before i know it the buck is there, little sucker walks fast . I line up for the shot and took my hold with the reticle. i made the mistake of not leading him enough and the bullet struck his back right hip. after trailing the buck for a little while i finished him off and had my trophy.

My major mistake is easy to see in hindsight, i took a low percentage shot with rifle i had never used before using a ballistic compensating method i am not used to on a small animal as he was quartering to me and walking. All in all it was a dumb shot to take but this is why we learn from our mistakes.

I am more than happy with my trophy, really a awesome looking little animal and very unique looking. right now he measure 19 3/4" long straight on the horn.

hunting with Kirby and his dad was absolutely great and i wish i would have gotten to spend mroe time with them. I will definantly be coming up to MT soon to hunt some goats with ya Kirby. How is the neck doing?? you still pretty red???

Mexican house goat

Great write up as usual Kirby. First, I would like to say what a pleasure it was meeting and sharing some great memories w/Kirby and his dad. Two of the finest people I know!!

Before we get to the goat, we have to discuss my miss on a ram @ about 740 yds. I was shooting my new 338 AX that Kirby was kind enought to sight in and load some ammo for :). He didn't want to shoot it too much before breaking in so we had a POI @ 100 yds, a velocity and a BC. I used this to print off a hold chart for Swarovski's new BR reticle. Would get me out to about 850 yds.

We were sitting on the top of the same large hill that Kirby killed his rams from. Easily the best longrange spot on the place. My budget was a bit smaller than Kirby and Steve's so I was just going to go for a decent ram or goat of some kind. We glassed a large heard of sheep come out of the timber and wander down along a grass hill. One ram was out infront and clear of the others. Looked like a target of opportunity to me!!

After making sure he was in my budget, I got an accurate range, looked at my drop chart, lined up on the ram and broke the 1# jewell. Recoil was amazingly light. I was expecting much more from the 11# gun pushing the 300 gr SMK @ 2885 fps (in a 26.5" bbl I might add). I guess that titanium vaporizor brake from 308nate works pretty well!!! So well that I was able to recover from the recoil and follow the pressure wave as it parted the hair on the rams back!! I don't guess missing by a few inches is too bad for my first shot w/the gun. The massive dust cloud created my that 300 gr bullet was enought to scare the rams into the timber, not to be seen again that evening.

Now the goat. We were just sitting around the cabin, talking about the day when we noticed a large, brown and white catalina (sp??) goat come out of the timber and make it's way into the open. Now since Steve had shot my 338 a few more times, I really didn't want to shoot it any more before cleaning and breaking in. This left me w/only one choice for a rifle. My Savage 308 w/a suppressor on it. I must admit I was pretty excited about shooting something w/it as this would be a first.

I had this rifle dialed in pretty well and had supreme confidence I could make a clean kill anywhere inside of 775 yds as the wind was non existant. That goat made his way down into the bottom and layed down @ 500 yds on the money. Only proble was that he was facing away and I didn't want to risk being low and hitting him the ***. We didn't have to wait long till an elk wandered close and pushed the goat from his bed. He walked about 20 feet and layed back down, only this time, facing us. I ranged again and got 495 yds, then 515 yds then 495, the 515. Since there was a fenceline infront of the goat w/some taller weeds, I thought that was why I was getting 495 yds. I just knew the goat was 515 yds so I dailed in 12.50 moa, placed my crosshairs on the goats chin and sent a 175 gr Berger on it's way!! I saw the pressure wave fly right over his head between his horns!! He jumped up, walked a few feet and I let him have it. I knew to aim a little low on this shot and it landed squarely. We all commented on the shockwave that was sent throught the goats body. Still, he managed to run off.

We waited a few minutes and then went down to find my prize. We looked around but found no blood. As we made our way up amongst some old, falling down buildings Tyler, Shawns skinnin' hand, said "I bet he's in one of these barns." I just dismissed this, not really even considering it a possibility. What I didn't know was that this thing had a history of hanging out in barns!! We walked up on the old chicken coupe and sure enough, there he was standing inside!! Another shot from the 308 knocked him off his feet but he refused to die!! I had to go in w/my Ruger LCP .380 and finish him off!!

I later learned that the goat was actually 495 yds, not 515 as I had dialed for. This was more than enough to make my first shot sail high. Range is much more critical w/the 308 than a flatter shooting round. Oh well, bottom line is I got my mexican house goat!!

All in all it was a great time. I know Kirby wanted a bigger axis and so did we, but it was a great hunt despite everything. A big thanks to Kirby and his dad for coming down. I am definately looking forward to getting that 338 AX going and heading up to MT to whack speed goat!!!

Kirby, congrats on a great hunt. Especailly on the Oryx your dad killed. Awesome animal. Thanks for sharing.

And I'm with you on the chiggers - those things eat me alive.

Kevin

Nice animals all around !!! Really love the Oryx. Will make a beautiful addition to the shop trophy case, as will the other three, too.

Was brutal missing out on a family trip. Sounded like a good experience. Heard all about it up camping this last week with Dad.

Here's hoping next trip can be pieced together with at least a little bit more ahead-of-time scheduling involved.

Can't wait to see these animals in person. klallen

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.