Not equipment related methods to improve groups

Shoot between heartbeats. Laugh.

How about learn how to shoot so that your heartbeat is a non issue.

EDIT: Also, it's respectfully, not respectively. You make us all look like farking morons when you use words you don't know the meaning of.
Heart beat is always an issue. No need to be nasty to other posters. Play nice.

Heart beat is always an issue. No need to be nasty to other posters. Play nice.
I met a fella on a shark fishing charter back around 1990. After getting to know him I found out that he suffered from Multiple Sclerosis, his spelling and grammar suffered because of it. That man could out shoot anyone on this blog. His name was Carlos Hathcock. I agree, no need to be nasty.

Consistency Consistency Consistency do everything the same way every time from loads to cheek weld to trigger pull

EDIT: Also, it's respectfully, not respectively. You make us all look like farking morons when you use words you don't know the meaning of.

Not too hard to make a couple here look like farking morons, just look in the mirror & you'll see what I mean. Meant with all due respect.

BG,
You don't have to worry about shooting between heart beats because it is obvious, you have no heart :)
Sorry, couldn't help it. Not a big deal if people misuse words. It's a mute point.

game: find the misused/misspelled word ;)

All the bench shooters are going to want x25 +mag. :rolleyes:

There are more important things to consider for field conditions in making a sub moa SINGLE shot, first round impact. Magnification does not help you with this. You only need to see the target. You shouldn't be looking at a specific part of the target be it living or not anyways, you should be looking at the reticle. If you are using iron sights correctly it would be the same thing. Target should be a blur, eye on front sight.

Magnification hurts exit pupil, unnecessarily introduces scope quiver, magnifies mirage, and reduces field of view if situational awareness is a thing. This is also know as tracking (not related to turret tracking). A reduced field of view also makes it hard to trace your shot through the scope, something that maybe not on this thread but on this particular forum is a mystery in itself to some people. You're target only needs to be visibly clear and shooting during your respiratory pause is plenty fine.
I don't think you are meaning not to focus on a kill zone of an animal, correct? I'm guessing I read it wrong. As for magnification, it definitely helps as evidence on a 1000+ yard targets every time I take people out for their first time shooting that far. Does it need to be my 15-60 br scope? No. But a 12x at 1000 is about as useful as a football bat :)

I am curious if you practice on moving targets as to the target means of operation. What setup and what ranges are possible?

it's as bravo 4 said. With the addition that follow up schools and courses of fire exist and help further refine skills.

The problem with the school house is that they teach just the ambush method in the school as a way of letting the target come to your lead. It's fine, but rarely are people that predictable.

There's another method called the tracking method, but in real life best used in a combo of the both. This is because if you are in support of a assault team, typically snipers are on two of and assault count and charges go off on 1, you don't have time to wait for a target to walk into your shot before the assault starts. Range 62b got some movers and camp atterbury which is used a lot for pre-deployment training has electronic movers. Most humbling teacher is experience in real time, not to say foundation work isn't important too.

I don't think you are meaning not to focus on a kill zone of an animal, correct? I'm guessing I read it wrong. As for magnification, it definitely helps as evidence on a 1000+ yard targets every time I take people out for their first time shooting that far. Does it need to be my 15-60 br scope? No. But a 12x at 1000 is about as useful as a football bat :)

Yes you are still looking for the kill zone haha. I guess another clarification is you can look at the target obviously but before squeezing the trigger, you are looking at the reticle, since this is your aiming point.

You don't need to be all up in it in some fine detail is what I'm saying. I can follow the leg up for example and know where the rear of the shoulder is without tunnel visioning on the shoulder details if magnifying specific land marks. Interesting however, I can hit a water jug at 1000y with a 10x. That's what? About 10x4 inches? I don't consider this to be considerably hard these days if your all trued up and you have your wind calls under control.

So 25x and under should be plenty for most at 1000y including the "old eyes."

image for 1 mile. 1760y

Attachments

• 2BC61FAC-5880-447F-87FF-ADC9BFF9D9DA.jpeg
    2BC61FAC-5880-447F-87FF-ADC9BFF9D9DA.jpeg
    781 KB · Views: 28
Yes you are still looking for the kill zone haha. I guess another clarification is you can look at the target obviously but before squeezing the trigger, you are looking at the reticle, since this is your aiming point.

You don't need to be all up in it in some fine detail is what I'm saying. I can follow the leg up for example and know where the rear of the shoulder is without tunnel visioning on the shoulder details if magnifying specific land marks. Interesting however, I can hit a water jug at 1000y with a 10x. That's what? About 10x4 inches? I don't consider this to be considerably hard these days if your all trued up and you have your wind calls under control.

So 25x and under should be plenty for most at 1000y including the "old eyes."

image for 1 mile. 1760y
What is funny about aiming for the kill zone on an animal?
25x and under is probably most people on this forum. 10x is a big difference and it is true that more magnification leads to better accuracy. Agreed?

it's as bravo 4 said. With the addition that follow up schools and courses of fire exist and help further refine skills.

The problem with the school house is that they teach just the ambush method in the school as a way of letting the target come to your lead. It's fine, but rarely are people that predictable.

There's another method called the tracking method, but in real life best used in a combo of the both. This is because if you are in support of a assault team, typically snipers are on two of and assault count and charges go off on 1, you don't have time to wait for a target to walk into your shot before the assault starts. Range 62b got some movers and camp atterbury which is used a lot for pre-deployment training has electronic movers. Most humbling teacher is experience in real time, not to say foundation work isn't important too.
Most of the elk,deer,bear and wolves I hunt are not in support of an assault team :) I understand you enjoy that training and style of engagement but for long range hunting, I'm not exactly sure how that pertains. Military schools are not the end all be all, which I'm sure you agree. Ask me how I know ;)

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.