Nice groups at 100, 200 no groups..

Not stalking at all. It's pretty easy to remember a guy who thinks hes going to kill dogs at least 300 yards with a .22 LR... Theres not to many of those special ones out there...Its just hard to even take you serious at this point lol.
You can stalk me on 24hr campfire too. I frequent there, and a NM hunting forum as well. and your cutting & pasting my posts from another thread. I am so impressed.

Last edited:
I have a 22 mag and a 17 SWM rifles. The 17 I figure it's a 200yd rifle. The 22 mag easy 100yd, and a little longer, but not much. Yes I know you can get out there, but not much behind those bullets at that time.

Last edited:
Friend has a used Browning chambered in 300 win mag, with a similar issue. Reloading 160 - 180 grain, Hornady ELD-X, SST. Nosler Abonds, Barnes,,, and others. Various suitable powders. Factory ammo from Federal, Barnes, Remington, Winchester and others. Wind, no wind, no matter? It's got a sporter barrel that heats up quickly. 3 shots at 100yds, = 1" MOA groups. Let the barrel cool, jump out to 2-300yds, the groups open up to 4,5,6+ MOA. All of this is tested off of a "lead sled". Not a fan of Browning.
Could be many things, including manufacturers inconsistently, that said I have a Browning A-bolt medallion that I purchased new in Kodiak in 1989 and it has been a shooter from the beginning. Currently shooting 165gr Gamechangers at 3150 and shoots great to 500yds. It also has the sporter barrel, heats up like any other sporter weight but stays on target.

I am wondering if any stock work was done? I had rifles that didn't group very good out of the box. A lot of the time I found there was stock pressures against the barrel. I relieve the barrel from the stock and that change the grouping by a bunch. I am a believer in floating the barrel and bedding the action. I will try the rifle from the box to see what it will do. Grouping bad, I work over the stock. Then go from there. I will start with floating the barrel first to see if that helps. Then go out and test it again. Working loads at the same time.

All older 700s had that forend pressure, along with most weatherbys. They seemed to shoot just fine. I'll only float and bed if the rifle isnt shooting from the factory to begin with. Some of my older Remingtons have been my best shooters with that forend pressure. My 240 WBY has a cheap synthetic stock, with the forend pressure and shoots 1/3 MOA as is. You cant even slide a piece of paper between the stock and barrel on it.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.