Groups drifit right

texan1

Hey all new to the forum, but have been reading them for a long time.
I have a question for you guys, I shoot a bunch at longer ranges on paper.
By longer ranges i am talking out to 800 Yds. Still working on tecnique but need some help. Why does my group tend to go right once i get out past 300 with very minimal wind. The groups at 300 are 1"-1 1/4" 5 shot groups but they start to go right on me thanks

Spin drift averages .25 MOA per 500 yards with a 250 zero...it starts becoming noticeable on targets at around 350 yards (about 1/4")...right hand twist, right hand drift.

800 yards = about 3 inches of drift, with a 250 yard zero.

Thanks for the feed back it starts happening at 300 Yds, im dead on @100-200 then at 300 i am between 1-2" right but consent?

There really is only three things that can cause shooting to the right. Left to right wind, spin drift and or cant. If it bugs you, you can put two pieces of tape one for the rings and one for the scope. Put a fine mark on the both pieces lining up with a marker. Loosen your scope and move about half the distance of the marker to the right and tighten your rings back up. Will fix any of the problems you are having except wind.

Do a test on a tall target with a vertical line up the middle at 100 yards. Set the line plumb with a plum bob line . Set the gun up vertical in a rest . Fire a shot at the line at the base , adjust the elevation , fire again and so on . Until you have a string of shots up the target.
If the start to veer off to the right it's a tracking error or cant error .
You could have a corneal astigmatism of the eyes which makes you see the reticule as vertical when you set it up when in fact it's not . Rotate your head around on the stock while viewing the reticule , does it suddenly look canted and then change back when you re assume your normal eye position ?

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.