Grouping to the right - whats up?

In the past it was a result of me pulling the rifle. Been really working on that with dry firing, hand/body/head position training, and some formal shooting classes. My focus this year is to really dial in on me and my skills.

But the question I wonder is this: can I get a group that tight and still be jerking the rifle?
Thanks for your help.

Chances are, no, but it is vaguely possible. I'd reccomend some ball and dummy practice; have a coach (or fellow shooter) load your rifle for you, and fire a shot. Hand the gun over to him and let him load another live round, or a dummy round. He closes the bolt and hands it back to you. You fire again not knowing whether it's a live round or a dummy. If you're flinching, jerking or otherwise breaking any of the basic rules of marksmanship, it'll show up the first couple times you snap on a dummy round. This is an old competitive shooters trick, and a very valuable training exercise. Normally, however, jerking or poor trigger control merely results in sloppy groups, not misplaced groups.

OK, went out with the advice I got and now I get this:

IMG_0360.jpg

So I am back to the horizontal string. The shots are from right to left in sequential order - the order they were shot in. Temp was 57 degrees, 7 mph wind right to left, gusts to 10. Distance 100 yards. Time to shoot four shots - 10 minutes.

What the hell?! How can I go from sub-moa at 600 to this? NOTHING changed with the setup and the amount of time to shoot the three shots above at 600 took about 10 minutes and the temp was 70, 4-6 mph wind (per Kestrel) from the 1:00

What am I doing wrong here? ANY help here would be appreciated.

Have you checked your stock to action fit? I had a rifle go bonkers last year and I found that a small piece of bedding had chipped out allowing the action to torque slightly. It would group a couple then move and group then come back.

I am currently fighting the desire to go back to 100 and re-sight the rifle - seems like I am getting into a loop of constantly tweaking if I go down that path. .

I fall into this trap on a regular basis. It is NOT a good thing.

I don't think you have posted the cartridge and rifle specs, at least that I have noticed. Not that that would have much to do with your problem

Your explanation of tweaking one leg of the bipod gave indication of a cheek pressure problem.

Here are two things to try.

1. Trade the bipod for a good fitting pedestal rest for a range session.

2. Let someone else shoot a group with it.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.