Reloading Equipment

IndianaMatt

I'm looking to get buy a reloading setup. I have some experience in the past but always used a buddy's stuff. That said I know the basics just need the tools. I have been looking at the starter kits from-
Lyman
Redding
RCBS
Lee
Hornady
Which company and why should I go with them? Also any preference on dies?
I will be loading - .222, .243, 25-06, 35 Whelan and 6.5x284.
Possibly a .264 Win Mag in the near future.

I began with a starter kit from Lyman, one of those hand held presses. I loaded many thousands of pistol rounds before the cast iron actually broke. The single round that didn't function was a .44 Mag with an over spec rim thickness that wouldn't advance the cylinder.

I then switched to a single stage RCBS Rockchucker. Appropriate name, it's solid as a rock.

I recently made my first venture to progressive presses and picked up a Lee Loadmaster but still haven't set it up yet. For load development, I'll use it as a single stage until I find what my rifles like before I try using it as a progressive.

What is your objective? If you just want quality ammo customized to your rifle at a decent price, any will probably do. A single stage is probably fine unless you're going to shoot a whole lot.

If you're trying to compete with the benchrest shooters at your club or enter competitions, ask those folks what they use. You'll certainly spend more money, but buy once, cry once. I'm happy getting sub MOA. Those guys are always trying to shrink groups no matter how tight they are.

I would like to be able to produce decent quality stuff able to shoot around 1 moa or so. At this time I do not belong to a rifle oriented club I don't believe there is even one in my area. We have many shotgun (trap and skeet) clubs in the area but I do not know of any rifle. I do not plan to shoot competitions at all either.
I just want a single stage press and the required tools to accompany it. Nothing fancy just the ability to produce consistent quality loads.

I would not buy one of the kits as I rarely use the parts they include. I would buy the pieces individually. The press is just preference. I like rcbs, hornady and forester presses. Just from experience I would get a rcbs charge master or charge master lite. Case lube just use your fingers with imperial wax or the process the 6.5 guys use. To save money you can get the hand tools for case prep such as inside/outside neck chamfer and primer pocket cleaning. Hand priming tool. Then a case trimmer and your good. I would rather buy used and get good quality what you need instead of cheaper new stuff.

I started and still have a Lee press. It was a cheap kit I think I paid $139 for it 6 years ago. My only upgrade was the powder scale. I upgraded to a RCBS. This setup has done well for me. I only load a few hundred rifle rounds a year and I have no problem with this setup.

My advice would be to make sure you get decent dies. I have Hornady custom dies.

My .308 shoots about 1/4 minute at 100 yards and my .300 win mag shoots about 3/4 minute at 100 yards.

+1 For Forster Stuff (I have the Co Ax press)
+1 for RCBS Chargemaster

Case prep center of some sort is nice, if you're doing any kind of volume. I have the Frankford Platinum.

It can be done cheaper but once you get into it, you start wanting the better stuff. I enjoy reloading, it's just part of the process. Nice tools make it even more fun.

My lyman orange crusher press is 40ish years old so is the 502 rcbs scale rcbs primer tray lube pad powder measure and 30-06 dies. A kit or purchased individually makes little difference. I would suggest a starter kit. Then you can add a chargemaster and other gear as you learn what you need to complete the task easier faster or more accurately.
The serria manual has a ton of information to create quaility ammo The nosler manuals have a bunch of good stories and suggestions for standard loads. do not own a berger or Hornady manual and I have not bought a Hogdon manual/magazine in alot of years due to the web data center.
Speer had a good manual mine is too old to rely on.
If you have a standard caliber the caliber loading books are also very good sources of information.
The reloading manuals have all kinds of information and are a must own. Start with the brand bullet then the powder and expand your enlightenment as you get better.

Thanks for all the great replies. Although I think I may be less sure of what I want now. I'm leaning towards the Lyman Crusher kit.
Good, bad, indifferent?

Get the r c bs supreme reloading kit. It will save you money over buying the individual items. Stick with r c b s readding or hornady dies. All above companies have implacable warranties as well as excellent customer service.

ive had my rockchucker kit for amost 20 years. still use everything it came with . 10-15 thousand rounds and i see no need to upgrade

Cool, I went to college in Terre Haute. That would put you what, south of Sullivan around Carlisle? They've got a big gun shop there right?

Yes Sullivan is correct. No Big gun shop here other than Top Guns in Terre Haute. There are several small shops.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.