Reloading equipment

Nicholas

I am new to reloading, but I have done alot of extensive research on accurate reloading processes. Several of my family members have agreed to pitch in on a fully loaded reloading bench. There will be enough to get a really nice setup. We want to develop extremely accurate loads (we all have custom rifles).

If you could have any setup, what would it be:
1. what press?
2. which dies (assuming everything was widely available from every manufacturer)
3. case trimmer?
4. powder measure?
5. measuring scale?
6. priming tool?
7. outside/inside neck turner?
8. deberring tools/chamfer tools?
9. measuring tools (calipers,etc.)
10. anything else I have missed?

I am looking at the Forster co-ax with ultra-seater and redding dies, but I have read that some redding competition dies won't work with the press (clearance issues). Does anyone know what the presses limitations are as far as caliber sizes?

Darryl Cassel, you are the most accomplished shooter on this site, what reloading press, and dies do you use/prefer?

Hello
I don't know about the most "accomplished" shooter with the likes of Dave King, Warren Jenson, Steve Shelp, Dan Conzo and others on here.

I was just waiting for someone else to respond but, here goes.

I like the RCBS Rockchucker press. I have had larger presses but, the Rockchucker works just fine. I have the Co-Ax press and seldom ever use it anymore. With magnum benchrest dies, the yoke handle will not allow passage over the die. There is another handle that can be bought for it.

The Case length trimmer I have is the Forrester and Lyman. I like the Forrester.

The Scales I have are mostly digital. I have the RCBS, Lyman and PACT digital scales. I always use at least two of them for cross referance. It seems the Lyman is more repeatable then the other two. I also have a Large cross beam Ohaus scale.

My powder measures are the Saeco and RCBS.

The neck turners I have are the K & M, Hart and the Forrester.

The dies are mostly RCBS and Redding but there are several custom die sets made by Neil Jones that are very good dies.

For most products, you could contact K & M tools or Sinclare Products and they have about as good of products as you will find anywhere.

Hope that helped a bit.

Darryl Cassel

Interesting article regarding digital scales on the "bench tips" page from the folks that sell CED chronographs. His tests prefer the D-terminator scale from Dillon because it has more sensors.

I've read a lot of shooting and loading tips over the years, and this guy has some VERY interesting thoughts, methods and inventions that I really enjoyed reading about. But for all I know the guy is a crank! I'd be interested in what y'all think.
http://www.shootingsoftware.com/reloading.htm

I'm not a "long range" guy like the folks here, but have done a lot of loading for 400/shot a day p-dog shoots. As such, I have never worried about the clearance on my Co-Ax, and have to admit I really, really like it. The snap in snap out die feature is quick, and I love the universal shell holder. With good dies I have been able to get some amazingly concentric rounds. That said, I really don't think it's superior, just convenient.

I use the RCBS Trim-Pro (powered) and don't think it's that great. Sometimes it seems that it doesn't cut perfectly square.

I use the PACT auto powder measure/scale combo and also use an older hornady powder measure that was given to me.

I don't neck turn, but want to start.

I like the various tools from Sinclair for primer hole deburring, primer pocket uniforming.

Lots of folks like the chamfer tool that Holland's gunsmithing sells. I use the basic RCBS number.

I use a Lee hand primer and a RCBS hand primer. I leave one set up for small and one for large primers (OK so I'm lazy).

I use mostly redding bushing dies and competition seaters. I have two sets of the Forester bench dies and they work well.

I use a basic dial caliper from RCBS. I plan on buying a good micrometer one of these days.

I also picked up a NECO runout guage for a song a couple of years ago. Don't know that I would pay full price for one, but it's a handy tool.

I was thinking it would be fun to start a thread where we post pictures of our reloading setups, with some discussion of what we'd do differently and what we like best.

R

A lot of great comments guys, Darryl in my mind you are one of most accomplished shooters, and I am sure many others feel the same.

Roger that is a great idea, lets see what tools are behind all of the great folks on this site.

The RCBS rockchucker always pops up with great reloaders, Darryl would you use the Forster over the Rockchucker if you had the modification to allow larger calibers? Do you feel the Rockchucker can produce as accurate handloads as the Forster? (it must since you are using it) I am rethinking that I might be well suited with the Rockchucker.

I've used the rockchucker since I got addicted to loading back 4 or five years ago. I since bought an Ammo master but have dedicated that press for certain things, It was bought for loading the larger mags but the rockchucker does just fine and it's not near as bulky. All resizing and bullet seating is done on the rockchucker and priming and case forming done on the ammo master.
I have no experience with the forester co-ax press, but have heard only good things.

SR90,

Oh jeez, now I have to tidy up my room! and fix that one light that's flickering! I sound like my wife!

R

Hello SR90

I also had the Ammo Master (A very good press) but sold it a while back to Speedy Gonzalos. It will load 50 Cals and I thought I was going to jump into that but, didn't.

The co-ax is a very good press and the only reason I don't use it is because I load mostly large cases and with high custom dies, the Yoke won't clear the die. As mentioned, they do make another handle that will. As far as accurate loading, the Rockchucker does just fine.

I didn't mention V-Blocks or case/bullet aligning tools. Some or most of these can be bought from Sinclare or K&M along with inside flashhole deburring tools and other needed items also.

Good luck to you.
Darryl Cassel

PS I forgot to mention I also use a K&M Arbor press for some of the match loading.
Sinclare makes a good one as does Neil Jones.

[ 01-06-2002: Message edited by: Darryl Cassel ]

I have looked at the sinclair arbor press, it looks really cool. I wondered about getting the arbor press and wilson hand dies, then a Rockchucker later to full length size.

Do you guys like using arbor presses and hand dies over regular presses and will the sinclair arbor press load ultra magnum calibers?

Sr90

For full length sizing medium and big Mags use the Rock Chucker. For JUST neck sizing most cases, you can use the arbor press.

For match shooting, arbor presses are used quite a bit especially if the shooter just neck sizes his cases.

You need BOTH type presses for all around loading.I would get the Rockchucker first, if I were you. If your getting into LR hunting, you will want to full length size your large mag cases because of the heavy loads and the case stretching you may encounter.

The Wilson dies are very good for the match shooter and arbor presses.

Darryl Cassel

[ 01-06-2002: Message edited by: Darryl Cassel ]

What about Chrony's guys, I heard the Oehler is the best, is any as accurate at the Oehler?

Hey Darryl how much difference in group size have you noticed between loads done with the Arbor press and loads done with the Rockchucker, is it significant?

Decisions, decisions, I never knew it would be so tuff to decide on the equipment.

on Chrony's, the CED Millenium looks really good, and is a reasonable price too, is anyone familiar with it?

Lostsheep, how do you like the Sinclairs Arbor press compared to conventional presses? What kind of accuracy are you getting with your setup?

SR90

Presses;
I think in 1000 yard shooting, you can get just as good of loads from a Rockchucker or any GOOD press because of it's versatility of full length resizing with ease.

The Arbor press is used quite a lot at 100 and 200 yard matches where you reload the same matched cases during a match.
If your getting into match shooting and smaller calibers, then use the Arber style.

If you use a good O frame press, benchrest or custom dies, the V Blocks or Necco tool, your bullet to case straightness will be just as good as any Arbor press and Wilson dies will give you.
I use both style presses.

Chronagraphs.
From some of my friends past experiance with Chrony, I would stay FAR away from them. One friend had two that stopped working. The other friend had one go out on him.
The best known to the civilian shooter and probably the most accurate would be the Oehler 35P. . Next to them, would be the PACT Professional which is very good also. I have both the Oehler and the Pact.

You might say you get what you pay for. Oehler would be the 1st choice hands down.
This has been my experiance with chronagraphs.

Hope that helped
Darryl Cassel

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.