Reloading Equipment

I started with the Lee Anniversary kit. That and some Lee dies served me well for several years. I now have a 6.5x47 and when I built that rifle there were not many choices for dies. I wound up with a semi-custom sizing die (Harrell Precision bushing die) and a Forster Micrometer seating die. I like these dies but I can't really say that they make better ammo than the Lee dies that I use for my 7mm RM.

Contrary to what some people may say, the Lee Safety Scale is a very good scale. If you wind up with the Lee, check out youtube for the magnet mod to the Lee scale. That is the only downside to the Lee scale, the magnets are not strong enough from the factory. If you upgrade the magnets the damper action is much better and the scale settles much faster.

As with any other tool set, you will add to it and personalize it over time.

Just my 2¢.

My approach was to buy the rock chucker kit and add/replace things as time has gone on. i would advise you to take advice from those that load for the purpose that you intend to. I started out loading for economics, so the included standard powder throw was accurate enough, and I only loaded hunting rounds. You really shouldn't have any issue with getting enough consistency for 1MOA loads out of the equipment that comes with any of the kits. The question is, will you really stop there? Most, if not all of the calibers that you mentioned have a ton of inherent accuracy potential. The nature of many handloaders is to try to get as much accuracy out of your rifle as possible with your loads. You can still do that with the kits, but it will be much more time consuming than other available options. I shoot animals out to 4 or 500 yards, and steel out to 1200 yds (so far), and my personal goal is to be able to load good accurate ammo (1/2 moa) in less time that it typically takes to shoot it at the range, without having to hurry and take the fun out of it. So, if an average range day is 80-100 rounds, in 3 to 4 hours, I like to be able to clean, prep, trim, load, and seat 100 rounds in 3 to 4 hours. In order for me to do that, I have an RCBS Rock Chucker Press, a case prep center, little crow gunworks caliber specific trimmer, & electronic powder dispenser/scale. This has taken most of the guess work and repeatability issues out of the equation for me. This is only one of many potential approaches I've taken. I have had just as much luck with Lee Precision dies as anything else I have tried. (RCBS, REDDING, HORNADY). If I had it to do again, I would probably buy the Hornady press and use the quick change bushings for my individual dies, rather than having to set up each die for each caliber each time you switch. If it works as good as advertised, this would save a bunch of time, my opinion.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.