Nosler long range accubond 30 cal 190 gr - results?

Everyone has his favorite gun, scope, rangefinder, binoculars, spotting scope, etc., etc. As I have always posted here, if it works for you, keep doing it. But along with that goes another statement, never stop looking for something better. I think you might have had somewhat better luck with the accubond if you had gone a bit heavier and slowed them down a bit. Elk are big animals with big, hard bones, and you need to shoot them with a bullet that will stand up to hitting a rib and keep on going. I do not know if Nosler makes a 220, but that is what I would use for elk.

My favorite deer load (for a 300 Win mag), despite the incident I cited yesterday, is a 150 gr. Nosler Ballistic tip ( the hunting version which supposedly will not blow up like the standard ballistic tip)in front of 81 grains of Reloder 22, in Nosler brass with a Winchester magnum primer. Speed is 3200 give or take a few. I know everyone touts Federal primers, but the groups are what they are, and in my rifle with this load, they are consistently tighter with Winchester primers. My favorite rifle, which I have also talked about ad nauseum on the forum, is the Remington Sendero. My favorite scope is the Meopta, which for brightness is heads and shoulders above Leupolds, Vortex, and all the others that can be purchased for $1000 or less. I refuse to spend over $1000 for a scope. I know the $4000 Swarovskis, high end Leupolds, Schmidt and Benders are significantly better, but you can get a really good scope for $1000, so that is my limit. This load in this rifle can and has put three bullets exactly through the same hole at 200 yds. I still have the targets and I have multiple witnesses. I am not boasting about my shooting, because I shoot average at best, I do admit to boasting about the rifle. I have several custom guns, and none of them touch this Sendero. When it put three bullets through the same hole at 200 yds, it was solidly strapped into a lead sled, and all I was touching was the trigger. If I have to shoot off-hand , standing up, anything in front of me is relatively safe. .LOL.

Below you will see Nosler's description of the Accubond LR. They call it a bonded core bullet and claim that it will expand rapidly but retain weight for deep penetration (sounds almost like the description of a partition but with better BC). The reason I chose it is primarily because we were in the midst of an ammo shortage, I had just purchased a new 300 Win Mag (Ruger Magnum Hunter Rifle, topped with a Nikon Monarch 3 4-16X50 with BDC) and would not have enough time to acquire the dies, powder (very limited availability) and put in the range time to work up a good load before my upcoming early August elk hunt. I broke in the rifle barrel with 4 boxes of cheap Rem Corelokt 180gr, which did not group well in my rifle and is known to be inconsistent box to box and lot to lot. Most premium factory ammo was either unavailable or only a box or two showed up every couple of weeks. I noticed that this new ammo from Nosler had just arrived (trophy grade with 190gr ABLR) and Sportsman's Warehouse had quite a bit in stock. They did not have anything in Accubond or Partitions. The only other ammo that was available in quantity was either the usual very cheapest Rem, Win, Fed and then Hornady Superformance 180 gr SST, which I was concerned would be too fragile for elk, especially at the Superformance velocity.

I read about the new Nosler offering and it looked like a good prospect. I purchased a box, went to the range and it grouped really well out of my rifle at 100 and 200 yards. In fact, in my rifle it groups better at 200 yards than at 100, which I found interesting. So I purchased 6 more boxes and practiced with it in different positions and at different ranges. It does shoot well. Then I tried it on elk with the result I described in an earlier post. I had a box and a half left over and have been using it for fouling shots as I work up a load with real Accubonds. 73gr H4831sc, Win LRM primers, 180gr Accubond looks to be the optimum for my rifle. That is what I will use for future elk, black bear, or moose (moose is on my bucket list).

I have a 270 Win that I use for deer (34 year old Ruger M77, with an old Leupold Vari X II 2-7X42). 130 gr Hornady Interlocks, 59gr H4831sc and CCI LR primers is a good deer load in my rifle.

By the way, my hunting partner used the Hornady Superformance 180 gr SST. He shot a large cow elk (the lead herd cow) at about 60 yards. A lung shot that was a complete pass through. small entrance wound, liquified the lungs and an exit hole the size of a golf ball. The elk walked a few yards and collapsed. No significant meat damage. I paid half again as much for the Nosler ABLR ammo. Oh well, lesson learned. Tried something new. Didn't work for me. Back to basics.

AccuBond® Long Range Bullet (from the Nosler web site)

Nosler, Inc. is pleased to announce the release of their new line of AccuBond® Long Range bullets. Developed through a combination of bullet manufacturing techniques that are unique to Nosler, the design of the AccuBond®-LR allows for the highest B.C. possible in a bullet of the same caliber and weight. Designed with an optimum performance window ranging from 3,200fps to 1,300fps, the unique tapered jacket geometry and proprietary bonding process of the AccuBond®-LR allow it to expand rapidly for effective energy transfer and significant tissue damage while retaining sufficient weight to ensure deep penetration into the vitals. The AccuBond® bonding process allows the AccuBond®-LR to perform reliably on game throughout the entire velocity range, eliminating the problem of being "too close" often encountered with other high-B.C. bullets. The high-performance boat-tail, long ogive, and polymer tip combine to make the AccuBond®-LR the sleekest, flattest- shooting, bonded, hunting bullet ever created. The ogive of the AccuBond®-LR is designed to provide excellent accuracy in a wide variety of firearms without the necessity of being loaded close to or in contact with the lands.

i see alot of info on the 30 cal 190 gr. NALR. i have a 30/06 ackley imp i was wondering if any one had some load data where i can utilize the 190 gr NALR . new to this and any info would be greatly appreciated.
thanks marc

Something I wonder about this bullet here, since it is billed as a long range bullet the front jacket has to be thinner and lead core have to be a tad softer. This would make for bad short range shots in spite of what is advertised. If it hits heavy bone at close range, it is going to totally break up. More than likely, the ABLRs may have a realistic short range of 200 - 300 yards.

Now with all that said, I pulled down a factory .300 WSM ABLR and found that the powder used is a VERY short cut extruded powder, possibly cut shorter than its diameter and weighing in at 65.7 grains (IMR 7828 SSC?). Also, the factory ABLR has a knurled bullet and is seated to 2.800 COAL. Yes, I know the powder can not be guessed at, but.... a run of Quickload not adjusting for case capacities, bullet length, boat tail dimensions or powder burn variances gave an estimated charge of 66.7 grains of IMR 7828 SSC to reach the advertised 2875 FPS. That's only one grain difference. It wouldn't be the first time a company used an off the shelf powder if it is indeed 7828 SSC, eh?

ETA: Oh yeah, also, there does appear to be a very mild crimp of the case mouth. I wonder if a very minor collet crimp, say 1 to 2 thou would be as effective here.

Last edited:
I have always been taught, told, and read that you never crimp a rifle (except straight cases) cartridge...pistols, yes, rifles, no, for whatever that is worth to anyone.

na, it all depends on what you are doing and why. I have tried crimping for my bolt rifles when working up a load to see if that little extra time helps with powder burn. As long as it is not a heavy crimp, the bullet is barely effected anyway. For my semi-autos, I nearly always crimp just to prevent setback from feeding and chambering. I suppose its also possible they are crimping at the factory for the same reason. a 190 is heavy enough and the recoil on a featherweight could be enough that the two together may possibly have a chance to cause some setback. All it takes is one these days and the lawsuits would abound.

With the exception of a taper crimp on my 45ACP(for reliable chambering), I never crimped a jacketed bullet that didn't have a cannelure, and have heard that crimping one can deform the jacket. Many factory rifle loads were, and continue to be supplied with a cannelured bullet with crimp. I have used some exceptionally accurate factory rounds that were crimped so I'm not sure of the validity of a crimped rifle round necessarily being any less accurate than one that is not crimped. I would expect that if the process were performed with consistency it would work fine.

a bit of taper crimp is fine on a bullet without a cannelure but why bother unless it's for a semi auto and you are having the bullet walk a bit in oal because of cycling.

Crimping is another variable to control and an attempt at a roll crimp could distort the bullet jacket or put a bulge at the case mouth that would make for crappy chambering.

I agree Lefty. Unless one trims every brass every time, there is no way of determining the amount of taper crimp. As I said above, I experimented with crimping but found no real advantage to it. Also, taper crimping without a cannelure can, in some instances, lead to less neck tension due to distortion. This is why I got collet crimp dies even though I rarely use it on my bolt rifles. The problem with collet crimpers is unless one turns their necks, you are not sure of exactly how much of a crimp you are using. Fortunately, you only need to turn the necks once, which most of us probably do anyway.

Below you will see Nosler's description of the Accubond LR. They call it a bonded core bullet and claim that it will expand rapidly but retain weight for deep penetration (sounds almost like the description of a partition but with better BC). The reason I chose it is primarily because we were in the midst of an ammo shortage, I had just purchased a new 300 Win Mag (Ruger Magnum Hunter Rifle, topped with a Nikon Monarch 3 4-16X50 with BDC) and would not have enough time to acquire the dies, powder (very limited availability) and put in the range time to work up a good load before my upcoming early August elk hunt. I broke in the rifle barrel with 4 boxes of cheap Rem Corelokt 180gr, which did not group well in my rifle and is known to be inconsistent box to box and lot to lot. Most premium factory ammo was either unavailable or only a box or two showed up every couple of weeks. I noticed that this new ammo from Nosler had just arrived (trophy grade with 190gr ABLR) and Sportsman's Warehouse had quite a bit in stock. They did not have anything in Accubond or Partitions. The only other ammo that was available in quantity was either the usual very cheapest Rem, Win, Fed and then Hornady Superformance 180 gr SST, which I was concerned would be too fragile for elk, especially at the Superformance velocity.

LLlllll

I read about the new Nosler offering and it looked like a good prospect. I purchased a box, went to the range and it grouped really well out of my rifle at 100 and 200 yards. In fact, in my rifle it groups better at 200 yards than at 100, which I found interesting. So I purchased 6 more boxes and practiced with it in different positions and at different ranges. It does shoot well. Then I tried it on elk with the result I described in an earlier post. I had a box and a half left over and have been using it for fouling shots as I work up a load with real Accubonds. 73gr H4831sc, Win LRM primers, 180gr Accubond looks to be the optimum for my rifle. That is what I will use for future elk, black bear, or moose (moose is on my bucket list).

I have a 270 Win that I use for deer (34 year old Ruger M77, with an old Leupold Vari X II 2-7X42). 130 gr Hornady Interlocks, 59gr H4831sc and CCI LR primers is a good deer load in my rifle.

By the way, my hunting partner used the Hornady Superformance 180 gr SST. He shot a large cow elk (the lead herd cow) at about 60 yards. A lung shot that was a complete pass through. small entrance wound, liquified the lungs and an exit hole the size of a golf ball. The elk walked a few yards and collapsed. No significant meat damage. I paid half again as much for the Nosler ABLR ammo. Oh well, lesson learned. Tried something new. Didn't work for me. Back to basics.

AccuBond® Long Range Bullet (from the Nosler web site)

Nosler, Inc. is pleased to announce the release of their new line of AccuBond® Long Range bullets. Developed through a combination of bullet manufacturing techniques that are unique to Nosler, the design of the AccuBond®-LR allows for the highest B.C. possible in a bullet of the same caliber and weight. Designed with an optimum performance window ranging from 3,200fps to 1,300fps, the unique tapered jacket geometry and proprietary bonding process of the AccuBond®-LR allow it to expand rapidly for effective energy transfer and significant tissue damage while retaining sufficient weight to ensure deep penetration into the vitals. The AccuBond® bonding process allows the AccuBond®-LR to perform reliably on game throughout the entire velocity range, eliminating the problem of being "too close" often encountered with other high-B.C. bullets. The high-performance boat-tail, long ogive, and polymer tip combine to make the AccuBond®-LR the sleekest, flattest- shooting, bonded, hunting bullet ever created. The ogive of the AccuBond®-LR is designed to provide excellent accuracy in a wide variety of firearms without the necessity of being loaded close to or in contact with the lands.

Interesting, I'm currently working up loads for my Sako Finnbear in 06 using 56 gr. H4831SC behind 180 AB's with Fed 210's.

I have specifically avoided Interlocks because three years ago I hit an 8 point whitetail buck in the shoulder at 80 yards and he ran in a circle to within about 20 yards of my stand...when I gutted him out, I found a broken shoulder and one fragmented lung and nothing else (and no exit wound). I sent an email to Hornady about my experience and the reply said I should be using Interbonds NOT Interlocks.

Last edited:
Interesting, I'm currently working up loads for my Sako Finnbear in 06 using 56 gr. H4831SC behind 180 AB's with Fed 210's.

I have specifically avoided Interlocks because three years ago I hit an 8 point whitetail buck in the shoulder at 80 yards and he ran in a circle to within about 20 yards of my stand...when I gutted him out, I found a broken shoulder and one fragmented lung and nothing else (and no exit wound). I sent an email to Hornady about my experience and the reply said I should be using Interbonds NOT Interlocks.
Interesting on the interlock/interbond thing. I've been blowing through mule deer for 15 years with a 300win tossing 165gr interlocks at 3250 fps. Never had any issues even through the hip of a 4x4 mule deer buck trotting away at 400 yards or a couple of white tail does at 50 yards or so. I have only caught one bullet (the aforementioned one through the hip) and it weighed 55% after cleaning.
http://www.longrangehunting.com/forums/f72/bullets-98150/ (bullet 5)

My 5x7 mule deer was shot through the neck ( through and through) at a trot at 480 yards last year so I can't comment on the recovered weight, but the stw and a 140ab made a bang/flop out of him.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.