Nosler long range accubond 30 cal 190 gr - results?

I am curious as to why you want such a heavy bullet. Are you planning a hunt for the big bears in Alaska? A 150 or 165 will give you better performance on anything in the lower 48. Just MHO. I used to be a big bullet guy, but when I stared using the 150's I experienced a major conversion.

I have the reverse experience I was a 165grn. Bullet guy till I started shooting long range. Then it was all about heavy bullets with high BC. I personally think for shooting past 600yrds. Anything lighter than 190-200 grn. .308 bullets no matter the cartridge I would be selling myself short on performance.....

I tried both H1000 and RL 22 a while ago and got reasonably good results with 180's and 200's but I dropped the idea of using 22 because of its temperature sensitivity ...that said I think I will try H1000 again, this time with the 190 ABLR's and see how they stack up against H4831SC.

As to "heavy" versus "light" light bullets, the ballistic data is incontrovertible to a point.. Using the same but heavier bullets wins put almost every time for long range energy retention...one exception being when comparing regular Accubonds versus ABLR's.

The following data was obtained using Nikon's "Spot On" ballistic software (free on their website) using close to max loads of H4831SC:

At 200yds. 180 AB - 2900; 190ABLR - 3136; 200 AB - 3138
300yds. 180 - 2750; 190 - 2942; 200 - 2910
400yds. 180 - 2510; 190 - 2758; 200 - 2710
500yds. 180 - 2310; 190 - 2583; 200 - 2565

I don't have info beyond 500yds. For the 180/200 but the 190ABLR still produces over 2000 ft-lbs out to 850 (900/1965;950/1897;1000/1830.

I hope this helps.

Don

The two major advantages to heavy bullets at long range is a more predictable bullet path, and less environmental interference, i.e. wind. That is why the military snipers love the 50 cal for long range shots. I am going to 190's and 200's with my Lazzeroni Warbird because I assume the monstrous powder charge behind a 150 won't allow anything close to a normal bullet path. The best group I can get with the 150's is about 1.5, and it should shoot better than that. The proof target John sent with the gun had a group of .7, but he did not say which bullet weight he used for that. I am a lover of Remington rifles because they produce what I consider to be the best over-the-counter barrels. Other shooters probably have their favorite rifles, Remingtons just happen to be mine, especially the Senderos due to their full length bedding block. Of my six Remington rifles, all six will shoot under .5 groups at 100 yds, under 1 inch at 200 yds. A couple of them burned up a lot of powder and bullets before I found the right recipe, but eventually I always got there. But that is all the fun of reloading. If every rifle you bought shot.5 groups right out of the box, what reason would you have to shoot them again? It is the challenge of getting five shots basically making only one hole, granted a little expanded and ragged, but one hole that keeps me at my reloading bench with my calculator, reference books, and containers of about thirty different bullets and a dozen powders that makes this sport so rewarding. Then when you make a long shot on an animal, you know that it is worth all the time, effort, and expense. Many of you have posted messages about making shots over 1000 yds, and I cannot match that yet, 837, as I posted before is my best, but I have to admit that conditions were ideal and I was astounded when the deer went down, especially because I was shooting the rifle least likely to make that kind of shot, my Remington titanium with a barrel diameter about the size of a fat pencil. But then it only weighs 5lbs, 3ozs, and my handle isn't old teacher for nothing. Packing that 11 lb Sendero is getting harder every year.

I am loading in my 300 ultra mag 95gr. Retumbo and the 190 LRAB is grouping better than 1/2in. I chronoed it at 3207 out of a 26in Brux barrel but I think my chrono is a little fast. I haven't had any luck with the 7mm LRAB but the 190 is good to go

Shot a .75" group last night with my 300WM using 190 ABLR's in front of 72.5 grs. H4831SC @ 10k off lands in my Rem 700. FPS was 2868... going to tick it up to 73 grs. (published max in Lyman's guide...72 grs. In others) and see how close she comes to 2900. This will be my elk load this fall if all goes well.

Thoughts??

Don

Sounds good. Just check your primers for any flattening and when you open your bolt, note if it is any stiffer than usual. Sounds like a great load, and a .75 group is great. I had three 4x4's, three or four five by fives, a couple of sixes and a 7x8 in my back yard a few days ago. They eat my shrubbery and stomp all over my lawn, but our game department has its head up a dark place, and their solution to the problem was to issue four cow permits. I am the only one of my neighbors that did not get a property damage cow permit this winter. We are so infested with elk here they are pretty universally considered vermin. They have even killed a couple of dogs.

Hello all. I have recently got hold of some 190 gr ABLR's . Previously always used sst 180's to good effect. Using 65 gr RL17 out of a 20" barreled .300 wsm. Shot a Roebuck yesterday evening in the neck at about 250. Rifle zeroed at 200. No discernable bullet drop .
Bullet going 2900 ish. We have a couple of hundred fallow to shoot over the next 9 months, over big open fields, I think this bullet will be a real worldbeater.... Ideally suited to windy conditions.

Not sure in the USA. I live and hunt in the UK, and ordered mine 5 months ago! The terminal ballistics are amazing , well worth getting hold of.....

Where can one get 30 cal ABLR's? I've had them on order at Midway and now they say that it will be December before stock is available. Season's well over by then...

I'm. convinced that all these suppliers are being fed a line of BS from Nosler, at least on the 210's. Originally they were supplying in June , now suppliers won't even put them on back order. If anyone thinks they have a straight scoop I'd be interested. I spoke to Nosler.

Muntjac man,

Can you please supply us with details on the "amazing terminal ballistics". What animals have succumbed to this bullet? Can you show pictures of entrance and exit wounds? Any detail regarding performance on game is appreciated.

I tried the Nosler Trophy Grade ammo in 300 win mag with the 190 gr Accubond Long Range bullet. They grouped well and were very accurate at all ranges I tried, out to 500 yards. I shot a cow elk at 150-175 yards (bullet would have been traveling between 2600-2700 fps). It was nearly broadside but slightly quartering toward me. I placed one shot just behind the left shoulder to take out the lungs. The elk abruptly made a U-turn and headed back toward the timber. I placed another shot just behind the right shoulder. The elk stopped for a few seconds and dropped. Upon dressing and skinning the elk, I found the second bullet had taken out both lungs and stopped just under the hide on the left shoulder. All that was left was the bottom chunk of copper from the jacket. No lead. Most of the meat on the left shoulder was ruined. Since these are "Accubonds" I had fully expected the first shot to take out both lungs and exit about a foot behind the shoulder on the opposite side with minimal meat damage. Instead, it apparently hit a rib on the way in and exploded. It spewed fragments in a wide pattern that perforated the left lung, punctured the esophagus or top of the stomach and embedded metal, tissue and stomach contents all over the right rib cage (entrance wound was an inch behind the left shoulder, no exit wound). The guide threw away the entire right rib cage and cut away most of the left front shoulder (from the second bullet). I understand that the "Long Range" version of the Accubond is supposed to expand at a wider range of velocities than the regular Accubond to address the problem of non-expansion at very long ranges. But I had expected at least the lower half to hold together. It didn't. Although the elk died quickly, the poor performance of the first bullet and the excessive amount of meat damage from both bullets was much worse than anything I have ever experienced or witnessed. I won't use these bullets again, and would not recommend them for use on large game. Theoretically, they could work ok at very long ranges, but they seem too fragile to use at moderate ranges where the majority of big game hunting shots are taken, especially at magnum velocities.

I have had almost the exact same experience with a couple different federal bullets and with Nosler ballistic tips. I had to leave on a trip with little notice one time and did not have time to load what I wanted. I bought a box of Federals (I do not remember the exact bullet), but out of the box of 20, three misfired, and the two that did fire performed just as you described. The remaining 15 are in a ditch in southeast
Washington. With the possible exception of the solid copper bullets, anytime a composite bullet hits a bone traveling at that speed, the chances of it remaining intact are slim. I hit a deer right in the boiler house at 80 yards with a ballistic tip and it blew up on a rib and completely disemboweled the deer.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.