Nosler long range accubond 30 cal 190 gr - results?

Interesting, I'm currently working up loads for my Sako Finnbear in 06 using 56 gr. H4831SC behind 180 AB's with Fed 210's.

I have specifically avoided Interlocks because three years ago I hit an 8 point whitetail buck in the shoulder at 80 yards and he ran in a circle to within about 20 yards of my stand...when I gutted him out, I found a broken shoulder and one fragmented lung and nothing else (and no exit wound). I sent an email to Hornady about my experience and the reply said I should be using Interbonds NOT Interlocks.
At that range any high velocity jacketed bullet is likely to shell out. The interlocks are amongst the best bullets ever made for weight retention.

This discussion though is not about the old Nosler Accubond, it's about the new Accubond LR which has a completely different construction from the original Accubond.

Reviving this...

Any of you 30-06 folks got any info on how the 190 ABLR has done?

Picked some up and put some together with RE17. Just need to shoot them.

Shane

My friend is looking for the same info. He's thinking about trying them in a 300 win mag. I'd like to hear how they expanded also if anyone has recovered a bullet.

Thanks.

i have use them and had good results in many ranges
last deer shot was at 750 yds and found them very good
i have a 300WM that i custom bult myself
i have recovered one the base was all that was left
i have found them to be verygood in all ranges

78 gr, h1000 not sure on velocity low shot was factory fed 180. last 3 shots were the cluster.

Attachments

• 300 medallion.jpg
    300 medallion.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 354
In the WinMag, 79 grains of H1000 yielded 2985 over the magnetospeed with a SD of 15 in a Savage 116FLSAK (about 21.5" barrel length) 76 grains of IMR 7828 clocked at 2981fps, but I didn't record the SD. Both were done over FC cases and CCI 250. Groups were not as good as what the rifle was doing with the 180 Accubond so I abandoned the trial and went back to my AB load.

I, too, am curious about factory loads of ABLR in 30-06 and effects on elk & muleys. Am in the midst of building up a lightweight R700 action for a dedicated mountain rifle and thinking about ammunition performance...
Johnny

Reviving this...

Any of you 30-06 folks got any info on how the 190 ABLR has done?

Picked some up and put some together with RE17. Just need to shoot them.

Shane

6 years ago, I bought a 300 WM. I had a tag for an early season cow elk hunt, and was concerned about being able to work up a good load and practice with it prior to the hunt. After breaking in the barrel, I tried several factory loads with premium bullets. The Nosler Trophy Grade with 190 gr ABLR. I was impressed with the accuracy (only tried it out to 500 yards). I didn't chronograph it, but as I recall the advertised fps was 2870 fps. It was new at the time and limited availability. I was able to round up enough to practice a lot and take on the hunt.

Last day of the hunt, a cow elk stepped out about 200 yards away and was moving, coming from my right, slightly quartering toward me. I tried a lower shoulder shot, but hit just behind the left shoulder. The elk abruptly made an about face and headed back toward the timber, slightly quartering away. I fired again, hitting just behind right shoulder. The elk stopped, stood there and swayed, walked in a small circle, then dropped. During gutting, skinning and quartering, the first bullet had hit a rib on entrance and exploded. It spewed fragments, some of which punctured the stomach and esophagus and imbedded in the opposite rib cage. There was major damage to the lungs. No exit wound. The second shot did not hit a rib going in, traveled through the lungs and lodged in the opposite shoulder. A lot of meat on the opposite shoulder was torn up and all that was left of the bullet was a small piece of the brass base, no lead. The guide discarded the entire right side rib cage and a large portion of the left shoulder.

The ABLR was designed to expand at long ranges, so is a bit fragile for shorter range shots at magnum velocities. I stopped using the ABLR at that point. It killed the elk, but with a lot of meat damage. Maybe Nosler has improved it over the last 6 years. I have killed 4 elk since that hunt. These elk were just as dead, but with much less meat loss.

Just adding additional data to this thread. CZ 550 action, 308 using 190 Accubond LR with 47.5g Rx-17, Win WLR primers, Lake City Match brass, loaded long to 2.930", velocity = 2746. 26" Mullerworks barrel. Literally one hole groups at 100 yds. No on-game performance info at this time.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.