Nosler Accubond Performance

ABbeforeandafter.jpg

This is the before and after of a .264 130 gr Accubond that left the muzzle of a 264 Win mag at 3350 fps average after it struck a deer at 111 yards on the edge of the front shoulder and then traveled the full length of the deer and was found in the ham. Recovered weight is 87 grs. That comes out to about 60% weight retention. It did what is was supposed to do.

Starting velocity has nothing to do with it at 210 yards.

30-06 2500fps starting velocity, 2229fps and 1985 fpe @ 200 yards
300 Win Mag 3000fps starting velocity, 2697fps and 2907fpe @ 200 yards
300 win Mag 2213fps and 1957fpe @ 550 yards ( Same numbers as 30-06 @ 200 yards )

With that thinking the 180 Accubomd is only marginal at 550 yards. I DON'T THINK SO. In 300 Win Mag at 1000 yards it still has 1116fpe and is flying at 1671fps which is on the borderline of the bullet performance window at this velocity. There is something here that is not being seen as far as the bullets performance in this ONE case. It might be noted that you cannot compare other bullet designs and expect to see the same results. In my opinion the Barnes TTSX bullet is the best hunting bullet on the planet followed by the Accubond then the Berger VLD hunting a close third. They all perform differently but they all work. In other words don't try to compare a Accubond with a VLD or vice versa because they are designed to perform differently.

I think you got exactly what the bullet is designed to do. You used a true big game hunting bullet and got the correct results.

What did the lungs look like? I suspect that they had a couple of large holes through them and they were completely blood shot. Perfect. Highly frangible bullets are not good elk medicine. Big holes on the exit side of an elk rarely happen.

In my opinion the 180g AB is too frangible for the magnum calibers unless you limit your shooting to beyond 300 or 400 yards. People mistake caliber size exit holes for non performing bullets and this is a mistake. It is also a mistake to expect any big game animal to drop on the shot. Unless you disrupt the central nervous system.

I am not trying to lecture, I just think that people hear about the drt shots and expect that to happen when rifle hunting. It is the rare shot that this happens.

Congratulations on your elk. Good shooting.

Steve

Did the butcher work yesterday. Ended up with a tad over 300lbs of meat. Like 305lbs. We stopped measuring the burger at 180lbs and had another tub to go. We were good in knowing we hit the 300lb mark. That is boneless meat.

We did a backwards calc and estimate the live weight to be around 800lbs.

Wow.

Tom

before to go hunting
shot into wet telephone books
useless????
some experience to share with shotting into wet telephone books??
thank you

I like this discussion and the experiences with the Nosler AB bullet. I have reloaded for years and use the AB bullet in quite a few of my handloads because of it's accuracy. I have hunted mainly whitetails for almost 40 years. I love the accuracy of the AB's but my confidence is at it's highest shooting a whitetail with a Nosler Partition. I have seen many whitetails shot with the NP and I know what that bullet does. I like to ''hammer" a deer when I shoot it. I don't want to have to track it but if I do I want a blood trail. You are much more likely to get a blood trail with a Nosler Partition. Usually a entrance hole you can stick your finger in and an exit hole you can stick your fist in. I hunt in Middle West Tennessee and the terrain is hilly and hardwoods. Sometimes we only have a very small window to put the bullet where I want it on a nice animal so I want the confidence to know my bullet will hammer the animal. I'm not worried about meat loss because I don't eat the neck, heart, lungs or ribs. Don't get me wrong I shoot a load in the 30-06 with a 150 grain AB.

Casing, the Accubond is designed to get the same expansion and weight retention as the Nosler Partition, but in a more aerodynamic package.

IMO you are going the wrong way with a 150 gr 30-06 bullet. If you really want to "hammer" a Whitetail then try the 200 gr Accubond. Every 30-06 I have reloaded for loves it. Used to use 60 gr RL22 but have found a load with better accuracy and higher velocity with RL17

Work up to this load in your rifle like I did in mine, i.e. start lower
300yd.jpg

You will get way better penetration and a much better chance of an exit for bloodtrail.

Woods,
That is a great 300 yard group. You may have a good point but I am still a little old school. I like what the Accubond does on paper but I also like a bullet that retains it's weight and packs a punch. Maybe I just need to shoot more deer with the Accubond and "see for myself" what it really can do. I shoot Partitions in .243, .280, .7mm Rem. mag., 300 Win. mag. and they all perform the same. Lots of damage and a big exit hole, but that's what I want in a bullet.

Wood,
And by the way, I have pretty much quit using Alliant powder because of the temp sensitivity. Where I live we sometimes have as much as an 80 degree difference in summer and winter. I have had some great shooting loads with RL 22 and when cooler weather rolls around my point of impact moves. I have started using Vihta Vuori in more of my loads. VVN140 shoots 5 shots under 1/2'' with the Accubond 150 grain in my stock 30-06 with McGowan barrel and is much cleaner too.

I took three deer with Accubonds last season. 200 grain, 2 at 340 yds. 1 at 50 yds.

They were bang-flop shots that did not need to be followed up. Literally blew the insides out of this small doe at 340. Hit a little back due to misjudging the howling wind, but you can't argue with the results. I haven't recovered a bullet yet.
doeweb09.jpg

Aslo crumpled an elk at about 60 yds.

I think they are a fine bullet. I used to complain about bullets that "pencil" through, but then I realized that I was still making jelly out of everything on the inside so who cares?

I shot a 5 pt bull elk last week with a 180gr Accubond out of a 300 Win mag @ 3100 muzzle vel. He was at 100yds and moving, the AB broke the near side shoulder and went thru the offside shoulder with less bone contact, and was under the hide, no exit. Retained weight was 82.7gr, basically all that is left is a blown ragged jacket. the amount of damage was quite extensive. He dropped out of my sight but was pretty much dead right there. I expected a little more retained weight but it was a fairly severe test for a bullet.
Just a different situation you can evaluate FYI.

Loaned the 30-06 to a friend who went Elk hunting with the above posted load, it wound up shank out

DSC00225.jpg

200grAccubond005.jpg

200grAccubond001.jpg

DRT, can't beat that!

For the money Nosler AB are a great bullet. Controlled expansion and controlled purchase price. You can practice with the same weight bullets in the Nosler Balistic tip variety then switch back to the Nosler AB with little POI change. (big difference in performance) If you want a better Bonded bullet do what Ian McMurchey would say to do "shoot swift Sciroccos".

A 150 Scirocco in a 30-06 flying at 3150 will out perform a 180 AB at 2500.

Nat Lambeth

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.