Nosler .270 170 gr Ballistic Tip

I ordered a few hundred direct from nosler yesterday to run in my 270 ss's. As York showed they seem very close to the 175 sierra with massive bearing surface. I ran the 175 sierra last fall in my 19" barreled 8 twist 270ss at 2750. The sierra shot great and performed awesome on my cow elk at 740 yards so I expect these will do similar. I have a second 270ss in the works with a 7.5 twist 24" proof so I'll pick up a bit more speed.
I'm impressed........ why bother?

My Favorite caliber, 270 Win, and I'm a big fan of 130 Grn. Ballistic tips for Whitetail deer. Super explosive at 270 Win velocities. I am so jealous that both my 270 Win and my 270 Weatherby Mag, do not have the fast twist needed for those long heavy bullets. The mag shoots the 150 Grn ABLR very well for a 10 twist gun. I had a heavy barrel 270 Win built with a 30 inch Hart heavy barrel, with an 8 twist, and super long throat. Can't wait to try it with the 170's. Ill be following your posts

I like the 150 Grn ABLR in my 270 Weatherby Mag because of the High BC! (G1 BC 591) I Made a load for Shooting steel at the Long range shooting school called Bang Steel!!! I thought it would be a good bullet for my first session of Long range shooting. I really liked them for that application! So did the instructors!! Longest Range I shot was 1200. Yards ! A new experience for me ! A sporter rifle ,new load , and first time shooting the ABLR! I did a post where I asked these experienced. Shooters about this using the ABLR for long range deer ,and many guys love it ! So This year I will use this 270 Weatherby mag load with the 150 Grn ABLR at 2900. FPS , on deer in the Bean fields ! I Am hoping for a 400 to 500 Yard shot !! The130 Grn Ballistic Tips in my270 win,at3050 FPS is still my favorite whitetail load ! All my whitetail deer have been taken between 90 And125 yards! That Ballistic tip is just incredible . I would use it for deer out to 300 yards ,but for a possible 500. Yard shot ,the bullet with the Higher BC seems to be a good option! If Nosler made the 150 Ballistic Tip with the same 591 BC,I would get those . I'll let everyone know in November!!!!

Just got the 170 BT's in mail yesterday and quick measurement kind of surprised me. The bearing surface was very close to the 175TGK and looks like slightly more. I will post up comparison once I double check. The 175TGK heel is quite a bit longer than the 170 BT as well. Will post up side by side photos along with measurements. So will be interesting to see how they fly and velocities.

guess the debate can go on and on, considering the title of this thread isn't about a particular cartridge.

Just got the 170 BT's in mail yesterday and quick measurement kind of surprised me. The bearing surface was very close to the 175TGK and looks like slightly more. I will post up comparison once I double check. The 175TGK heel is quite a bit longer than the 170 BT as well. Will post up side by side photos along with measurements. So will be interesting to see how they fly and velocities.
I remember you were getting some amazing velocities with RL26, but I wonder if you have tried other powders?

Steve Timms, Chub Eastman, and Matt Smith of Nosler found that 6.5mm Ballistic Tips to be effective on deer, elk and moose with their 6.5-280 AI's. Mostly with the lighter 6.5mm weight class bullets. So I would guess the heavier 270 cal 170 BT to work well on elk and moose also. One reason to choose a BT over an AB is the barrel's preference for them. Not all barrels will shoot an AB accurately. Much like other bullets. Barrel's like what they like. So this just gives the hunter/ reloader another option.

I'll save you the trouble as I just posted these pics on a thread a started a while back questioning the published BC on the 175 TGK. I can't help thinking there is no way both of these bullets are a .560 G1 (that's what both manufacturers claim). To me, that looks about right for the BT, and conservative for the TGK. The other bullet in the pics is the 165 ABLR.
Has anybody run drop tests yet to calculate their own BC estimate for the 175 TGK?
Thanks,
Rex

Attachments

• .277 Heavies 1.jpg
    .277 Heavies 1.jpg
    78.9 KB · Views: 139
  • .277 Heavies 2.jpg
    .277 Heavies 2.jpg
    67.4 KB · Views: 119
BTW Muddyboots, I landed on this thread while searching for the thread where you list your loads with the 175 TGK - you alluded to them in another thread. I didn't find it.
Got a link you could share?

Thanks much!
Rex

Recent Posts