Nosler Ballistic Tip Jump

timberelk

Hello all, I know certain guns seem to like different bullet jumps but what have you all experienced as a general rule of thumb for jump to lands for bullet like the Nosler Ballistic tip?

Personally I found accuracy around the .030" jump range

7mm Rem Mag factory Sendero 150 gr NBT, .020" jump.
20180222_130359.jpg
200 yards.

.020"-.030" has worked for me in 300WM, 338WM, 25-06 etc.
One of my 300's has a LONG throat and I seat to mag length which then has a jump over .100", accuracy at this length is just as good as at .020" or .030".
I don't think the ballistic tips are jump sensitive.

Cheers.
:)

The BC of these bullets is kind of like the BC of a rock lol. But they are most always accurate. When a barrel just won't shoot slick bullets I'll load them.

I feel like I have given up when I resort to loading Ballistic tips... kind of like wearing jogging pants. LOL

Last edited:
The BC of these bullets is kind of like the BC of a rock lol. But they are most always accurate. When a barrel just won't shoot slick bullets I'll load them.

I feel like have given up when I resort to loading Ballistic tips... kind of like wearing jogging pants. LOL

Lol that's funny. I'm new ish to reloading and loading to the book puts me about .060" off the lands so I think I'll just give it a try there because I want to use the BTs for hunting. Have you every tried loading a bullet like the Hornady Interlock (soft lead tip)? Im guessing they are not picky either?

I know that at some point in the distant past I must have loaded Interlocks ,maybe for a 308 Win, but it was so long ago that I really can't recall details. Sorry. I'm sure I didn't even keep load notes back then.

I have said this many times to newbies and veterans alike, there is no set distance that governs WHAT distance will work in YOUR rifle and there will be MANY sweet spots up close and just as many far away from the lands.
My 375 Weatherby has .500" of parallel freebore @ .3755" diameter, even with a 350gr bullet I CANNOT touch the rifling with the bullet inside the case.
It still produces groups in the 3/8" range @ 200yrds with 260gr Accubonds.
This is excellent accuracy for a bullet that is entirely out of the neck before it even comes close to engaging the rifling.
It also produces an honest 3000fps with this bullet, making it a 500yrd rifle if need be.
Bullet jump is overrated IMHO, just test at mag length and see where it gets you first is my advice in a hunting rifle.
Comp guns are different and require tuning for load AND seating depth to work optimumly.

Cheers.
:)

I feel like I have given up when I resort to loading Ballistic tips... kind of like wearing jogging pants. LOL

Buy the black ones...silver tips. It like having racing stripes on your jogging pants!

The limited BT I've used, book COAL has worked well. I even have some 55 grain in .243 that don't come close at all to the lands and they shoot well enough.

I've prescribed myself that if the bullet isn't' a VLD type and is more conventionally shaped, then jump doesn't really matter.

Long range load development at 100 yards.
By Erik Cortina
http://forum.accurateshooter.com/threads/long-range-load-development-at-100-yards.3814361/

Some of you have asked for more detailed instructions on how I do this. Here they are:
1. Find Jam by seating a bullet long on a dummy piece of brass (no primer nor powder) and apply die wax to the bullet ogive and record it's base to ogive length.
2. Chamber the round and close the bolt.
3. Snap the bolt open and measure the base to ogive measurement. If it is shorter than previous measurement, this is your jam. Do it a few times with different cases to make sure.
4. Load a known powder/primer/bullet combination. I load 4 of each powder charge in 0.5 gr. increments and seat bullets at jam - .020". I use one shot of each to get barrel fouled up and also keep an eye for max pressure at the same time. You can also use these rounds to break in a barrel if you are inclined to. If I encounter pressure on the hotter rounds, I will not shoot groups with the other loaded rounds and will pull bullets when I get back home. Do not shoot in round robin style because position and natural point of aim will be compromised.
5. Shoot 3 shot groups starting from lowest to highest. All groups are shot over a chronograph.
6. Examine target and find the place where consecutive groups line up vertically and ES is the lowest and speed increases the least from one group to the next.
7. Load to the middle of the powder node and do a seating depth test.
8. Load 3 shot groups starting from Jam - 0.005" all the way out to Jam - .040" in .003" increments.

9. When you find the seating depth test that shoots the best, load towards the longest side of the node to allow more room for throat erosion.
10. Final step is to load the new seating depth and load 5 shot groups in 0.1 gr. increments 0.5 gr. on each side of node (if pressure limits are not reached). This will cover an entire grain of powder and you will be able to pinpoint where the powder node starts and ends. In the summer, load towards the low end of the node, and do the opposite in the winter.

HAPPY SHOOTING!

Yes, I have with several different bullets and calibers. Not the best it could deliver but sub MOA. I think it depends more on the gun though.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.