Nosler ballistic tip

OFtrash

I have used Nosler 168 grain Ballistic tips for many years in my 30/06. I have always kept a good supply on hand but I'm down to my last box and for the life of me they are not available anywhere. I can find plenty of 150s and 165s. So my question is have they been discontinued?

I have used Nosler 168 grain Ballistic tips for many years in my 30/06. I have always kept a good supply on hand but I'm down to my last box and for the life of me they are not available anywhere. I can find plenty of 150s and 165s. So my question is have they been discontinued?
It's a tough time of the year to get them. As far as I know they still maker them. But the 168 BT has usually been a limited run so you have to get them quick when available.

I might have a secret stash laying around of seconds. I'd have to look because I'm sure I've been saving them.

We all feel your pain one way or another with the constant shortages.

If you look on the bright side, perhaps it's time you tried a different projectile. You may find something you like better than the Nos BT. Lots of great bullets out there nowadays that you can find on the shelves or online. When your favorite bullet is available again you can stock up, load it, and shoot again.

When I adjusted my thinking this way, I found I started shooting a lot more again. Which is a good thing, of course. I have a reloading journal with all my notes and recipes that allows me to change between different loads/recipes and/or substitutions of component for each rifle in my fleet.

I've had good luck with Nosler ABLR. They make a 168 grn. in .30 cal.

I've never used 168's. Have you found a difference between it and the 165's?
Honestly I haven't shot enough bucks to see a difference. I "think" the main difference is BC's. The 168 gr had better BC's. For 0-300 yards I'd pick whichever shot better. The terminal performance should be close. Or pick the one you're most confident in.

We all feel your pain one way or another with the constant shortages.

If you look on the bright side, perhaps it's time you tried a different projectile. You may find something you like better than the Nos BT. Lots of great bullets out there nowadays that you can find on the shelves or online. When your favorite bullet is available again you can stock up, load it, and shoot again.

When I adjusted my thinking this way, I found I started shooting a lot more again. Which is a good thing, of course. I have a reloading journal with all my notes and recipes that allows me to change between different loads/recipes and/or substitutions of component for each rifle in my fleet.

I've had good luck with Nosler ABLR. They make a 168 grn. in .30 cal.
Ive been studying the 165 SSTs since they are pretty much always in stock.

I've never used 168's. Have you found a difference between it and the 165's?
But my buddy liked the 125 gr and 150 gr BT's in Arkansas. He ran them hot so they shocked the heck out of the bucks. Which is what I think Chub Eastman, Steve Timms, and Matt Smith did with their 6.5-280 AI. Chub and Steve favored the 120 gr BT and Matt Smith used the 100 gr BT if I remember right. Matt had access to a famed ranch with huge bucks and bulls. And took them with that 100 gr BT. Kind of the Weatherby concept. Light bullet ran fast so it would shock the heck out of game. The Ballistic Tip with it's polymer tip and tapered jacket ensured fast expansion with good energy transfer. The solid base and tapered jacket would hold up for a good mushroom and exit.

Last edited:
I have been struggling to find Ballistic Tips for our 7mm-08s as well. Been that way for a few years now. Had some stored, but supply is running really low for me.