55gr Nosler Ballistic Tip??

Kevin R

Hello,

I am new to this forum, I like it.

I got almost a full box of 55gr Nosler Ballistic Tips for free. I was wondering if anyone can give me some loading data for the 223 for them. The powders I have are, BLC-2 & H4895, I could also buy anouther pound of somthing that may be better if I have to?? I would like to keep them at around 3250-3300fps if I can??
I only have the Hornady book as I always have loaded the V-Max.

Oh ya, for a Savage model 10

Thanks

Kevin.

I've loaded the noslers the exact same as the Hornady and had good luck with them.

My load: 25 grains Varget gives me good accuracy and about 3150fps.

I just got back from the range testing those NBT in 55 grains, some results are awesome, like 25.4 gr of IMR4064 made 0.269" group, or 26 gr of RE-15 0.385" group, I also tried Varget, loading 26 gr produced 0.81" while 23 gr made 0.394". By the way for your Savage 10 I would recommend heavier bullets, like 60-69 gr sine you have 1:9 twist rate. Berger makes 73 gr bullet just for your twist, in the future you might want to try it. I'm planning to re-barrel my action one of this days for 1:8 or 1:7 :rolleyes:

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.